JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 02-17-2019 07:41 AM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

225 Replies
user665zS9HS4o
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have had mine since Christmas and the floor counter is an absolute joke.  It won't go above 3 even though I do atleast 20 a day.

0 Likes
userhiRmK0MsyB
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm having the same issue with mine. I just got the smart watch and I have a flight of stairs in my home that I go up multiple times a day and by the end of the day it will say 1 floor or 2 floors. ridiculous!

0 Likes
userm6L26YOSN5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

My wife and I purchased the 42mm and the 46mm in December.  I went back and forth with Samsung and all they could tell me was I needed to send my watch to them so they could see what's wrong with it.  I told them I see comments all over the web with people complaning about the inaccuracy of theis watch with floors and steps.  So I told them just to take one off their shelf and they'll see the problem.  They still denied there was a problem with all their watches.  I told them I still carry a Fitbit One in my pocket, because this watch is so inaccurate.  At the end of the day, my Fitbit One will say I went 15 floors and my Galaxy Gear will say I went 1 floor.  My wife and I finally took both watches back to Costco and got the Fitbit Versa.  Tracks very good, but not as full-featured as the Samsung Gear.  I called Samsung today and I asked the tech support lady when they were planning to fix the inaccuracy of this watch.  She put me on hold and then came back and said they are working on a software-fix to correct the inaccuracy problem and it should be done sometime this year.  After all the calls I made when I owned the watch, no-one at Samsung ever acknoledged that there is a problem, until today.  Now that I know they've acknowledged the problem, I may go get the Samsung watch again.  I'll just carry my Fitbit One with me until they get this watch fixed.  Let's hope it's very soon, because it's a hassle carrying two products and having two applications just to get accurate information.         

0 Likes
MrsVR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

This issue really needs to be fixed.  I am having the same issues as everyone else!  Contacted  Samsung+ support on app and they suggested resetting the watch back to factorty, which i did hoping it would fix the problem,  IT DID NOT!  As much as the watch cost i want to use every feature that is on there.  Really disappointed with this.  SAMSUNG PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!

Watch now only count floors if i go up and immediately come right back down the stairs, then it works. totally ridiciouls.

Frustrated Loyal Samsung Customer

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

It cracks me up that this thread is marked as solved. The solution is, "we used crappy hardware, have incompetent software engineers, and we don't listen to our customers." Problem solved.

userc0W3V3Eu6w
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Calm down everybody. Calm down.

Returning your Galaxy Watch because a floor sensor doesn't work? Pathetic.

Anyway, back to my point. I've done lots of experimenting, and found a solution! (I hope.)

Backstory; I had my watch for more than 2 months and it was great. Everything that I expected worked. I switched to a paid watch face at the beginning of owning it to one I liked. Keep in mind it had the floor counter on the watch face. Might be inportant, might not.

Anyway, I've decided one day to switch to another paid watch face that I've preferred, and I think about a week later, my floor counter stopped working. Completely. 0.

After reading through this entire forum post, and it's replies, and trying everything, I thought maybe the watch face was causing the problem.

And so, I switched to the old watch face with the floor counter, and it started working again, all fine.

I started experimenting. I went back to the new watch face without the floor counter, and it still worked flawlessly, for like 19 days. Then it stopped working again.

Temporary Solution: use a watch face that shows a floor counter, or switch to it, and switch back every 18 days or so.

It's a software bug, not a hardware issue.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
@userc0W3V3Eu6w wrote:

Calm down everybody. Calm down.

Returning your Galaxy Watch because a floor sensor doesn't work? Pathetic.

Anyway, back to my point. I've done lots of experimenting, and found a solution! (I hope.)

Backstory; I had my watch for more than 2 months and it was great. Everything that I expected worked. I switched to a paid watch face at the beginning of owning it to one I liked. Keep in mind it had the floor counter on the watch face. Might be inportant, might not.

Anyway, I've decided one day to switch to another paid watch face that I've preferred, and I think about a week later, my floor counter stopped working. Completely. 0.

After reading through this entire forum post, and it's replies, and trying everything, I thought maybe the watch face was causing the problem.

And so, I switched to the old watch face with the floor counter, and it started working again, all fine.

I started experimenting. I went back to the new watch face without the floor counter, and it still worked flawlessly, for like 19 days. Then it stopped working again.

Temporary Solution: use a watch face that shows a floor counter, or switch to it, and switch back every 18 days or so.

It's a software bug, not a hardware issue.

I lost interest in my Galaxy Watch due to the dollar store sensors, or at least 3rd world implementation of them, but I'll drag it out and test your theory tomorrow.

0 Likes
userBaHFjIzdtM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hey i have the same flooring counting problem What watch face did you use which waork with the counting and which doesn't work? Please help me it drives me nuts Spend $450 and it frustrats me
0 Likes
userEP3qOpI9A1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Same 'not counting floors' problem with my new Galaxy Watch. House has 3 floors = 2 stair climbs and each floor height about 8ft. The watch counted a 2-floor climb as one floor and didn't ever count any 1-floor climb. Solution was as an earlier post found, i.e. before starting climb have arm loose at your side with the watch about hip position, slowly raise your wrist/arm as you climb and have the watch at head height as you reach the last tread... each floor always counted O.K. So, if house floors were 10' high the watch would always count each floor. As somebody has already suggested, why doesn't Samsung update the software to reduce the stair-height read by 2ft and so end all of these complaints?
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just worked a men's conference and recorded >21K steps on the Galaxy Watch (Fitbit Blaze I had in my pocket was around 23K). Everything in the building was climbing 2-3 flights down and up. The Galaxy Watch recorded ---0--- floors/flights while the Fitbit recorded >100-flights/floors.
0 Likes