JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 03-18-2019 06:25 AM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

225 Replies
user1RqSWieZJv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have to disagree with the idea that a watchface is effecting the floor-counting sensor - especially since the Samsung built-in display and data sent to Samsung Health all show the lack of floor-counting data, reguardless of what watchface you are using. Watchfaces should not effect/modify any sensor data - just display what the OS/sensor presents.  Just for the funsies, I tried multiple watchfaces - some that displayed the floor count and others that did not.  In my house there is a 13-step staircase/floor.  No matter which watchface I tried, the floor-count was either not updated at all or showed maybe 1 or 2 no matter how many times I climbed or descended the staircase (I was moving furniture this weekend and it never registered any floors eventhough I am sure I made at least 40-trips up-and-down).  This is a Samsung problem - hardware or software - Samsung needs to adress it!

userfeBnP59mBu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I found that a floor will not be counted unless ascending at least 13 feet. Samsung support "confirmed" that it is set for a flight of stairs in a commercial building as opposed to a residential building. Pathetic since most people would expect it to count flights of stairs climbed in their houses. As I don't work outside the house, these feature is useless to me. Too bad it does work on Fitbit products, but they have other issues...

0 Likes
userGIDBsZVgpG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I too have this problem. I live in a multi level house and my fitbit used to give me an accurate stairs climbed count. But my new Samsung Watch Active which I have had since March 8th does not count accurately.

My guess is that most floors are only 9 feet in height and so go uncounted. Samsung needs to change the elevation from 10 feet to 9.

It is so frustrating.

0 Likes
userqrilOM2jhV
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My floor counter was working ok for the first 2 months, then started over-counting floors like crazy before showing 0 floors each day (despite me having climbed several floors). After speaking to the Samsung Twitter support team they advised me to take the watch to a Samsung store. I took the watch in and the guy immediately said it was a common fault and I'd have to get the motherboard replaced. It should be ready for collection in a few days, hopefully this resolves the issue

0 Likes
userM9Cgg5pfMY
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Please post your results with a new mother board.
0 Likes
Brianiac
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am from Australia and i bougth my Galaxy Watch last November 2018. Everything is fine until 3 weeks ago, my floor counter gone balistic... i am just walking on the street and it counted 30 floors!!! I thought it is just a weather since it stated to get cold here in southern hemisphere... i already did factory reset twice but still doing the same... 20+ floors daily!!!

i have went to Samsung store last thursday and have it checked. they checked in my watch and returned it the following day, they just re-update the software, not sure if that's the same as factory reset or a firware update.. after 2 day, it count again 20+.. i am monitoring it again for this week and see. if still not working, i might return it to the retailer. 

0 Likes
Menuett23
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have had the experience that the clock recognizes the floors well when I walk stairs. If I ride my bike or walk up a hill, the clock hardly recognizes the floors at all. I am really disappointed 😞

0 Likes
Gildow
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi First time posting here. Had the same issue initially.

All I did was to go to the Alti-Barometer, start the app for the first time, and than it should show both altimeter and barometer reading.

Once that is done, click on the Altimeter

it should show some graph and some numbers.

Click on the tiny circle icon there (re-calibrate).  

One thing to note... make sure there is no water in any of the holes (especially the one on the left...do water lock eject water... it did be more accurate.

Once that is done, it should be working fine, at least for me.

Try it.

Samsung_Y8fWH2P
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I think you are on to something!  It didn't work lol but, the altimeter shows 9 feet difference between my top step and bottom of the stairs.  Samsung only tracks floors if they are 10 feet or more!  So frustrating. I've done 19 flights of stairs today and my Samsung watch has tracked ZERO!  

0 Likes
userClwHnJ021G
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

So when you get to the top of the stairs, raisde your arm (wearing the watch) up like you're giving yoursdelf a high-five - that'll give you an extra couple of feet!

0 Likes