JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Watch series not counting floors

(Topic created: 08-31-2018 08:09 AM)
userIJOJeZ7Km0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Galaxy watch for about a day now, and it's only registered 1 floor.  I've probably done 25-30.  My house floors are more than the 10 feet it says it needs to count a floor.  I'm not sure if this is an issue with the hardware, or the software.  Is anyone else having an issue? 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
225 Replies
Wazza_Fan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Sorry but a very substantial number of American customers are having this very same issue so your apology for releasing a defective product globally is not relly worth much is it.
Perhaps instead of deflecting or ignoring Samsung could work to fix the issue?

If Samsung had worked on a fix in the 1st place I would likely have remained a fan boi, but I guess the decision was made "up the line" to just deflect & ignore.

Well, with a Samsung laptop overdue for replacement, several Galaxy phones due plus Samsung whitegoods in the house, this is one ex fan who will not be backward in now letting as many others as possible know of Samsung's failings.

Hope you think it was worth it.

Muscadel
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Dear Galaxy Watch owners

I have solved this riddle, and it is so simple its laugheable, but it works, and I can confirm it keeps working.

Coming From an Apple4 watch, Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Venu, Hauwei GT2, and eventually Samsung Galaxy, I was frustrated and perplexed, as I have the added hurdle of navigating through iOs on my Apple 11 Pro Max, but since the watch itself captures the data, I knws I had to focus there.

Here is the tech bit:

Previous gen Barometric sensors counted 9 feet as a flight of stairs, and newer ones 10 feet of continiuous, normal side swining arms moving upwards through 10 feet.

This is weid I know, but because you only do 8 to 9 feet in the US per flight of stairs, the next flat step canceles the flight, and you dont get a count.  

So the solution is walk(run)whatever, up the flight of stairs, swing arms nomally, dont look at your watch, as you reach the top of the flight, do a "hurrah" lift of your arms, et voila, a few seconds later the flight appear as a "count" on your watch.

Insane, I know, but it works, because by liftin your arms above your head, you add the extra foot or two it needs to count the flight

Have fun out there

PS, Garmin Venu owners, te same solution applies, tried it and it works..

DgreenJets
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Muscadel wrote:

Dear Galaxy Watch owners

I have solved this riddle, and it is so simple its laugheable, but it works, and I can confirm it keeps working.

Coming From an Apple4 watch, Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Venu, Hauwei GT2, and eventually Samsung Galaxy, I was frustrated and perplexed, as I have the added hurdle of navigating through iOs on my Apple 11 Pro Max, but since the watch itself captures the data, I knws I had to focus there.

Here is the tech bit:

Previous gen Barometric sensors counted 9 feet as a flight of stairs, and newer ones 10 feet of continiuous, normal side swining arms moving upwards through 10 feet.

This is weid I know, but because you only do 8 to 9 feet in the US per flight of stairs, the next flat step canceles the flight, and you dont get a count.  

So the solution is walk(run)whatever, up the flight of stairs, swing arms nomally, dont look at your watch, as you reach the top of the flight, do a "hurrah" lift of your arms, et voila, a few seconds later the flight appear as a "count" on your watch.

Insane, I know, but it works, because by liftin your arms above your head, you add the extra foot or two it needs to count the flight

Have fun out there

PS, Garmin Venu owners, te same solution applies, tried it and it works..

You Sir are a genious!  This has litteraly been bothering me for weeks as I have not been able to get flights since being at work (probably counted because there were multiple flights in a row I needed to climb).  The additional "step and arm raise" at home has done it!!! Thank you!!!

0 Likes
userijVbSurHdc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you very much for figuring out the issue. This is the best "bandaid" fix so far... truly samsung needs a step counter settings screen so we can adjust the metrics on what counts as a "floor" in our area so we can log our steps with this super pricey watch without looking like we are trying to re-enact Sylvester Stalone reaching the top of the stairs from the movie Rocky every day!

0 Likes
Al_P
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Watch

😞 No, does not work for me. I see flights counted on prior days so it occasionally does count them. It looks to me like its based on how many stairs as was discussed in this thread.

0 Likes
Samsung_NI9abbL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I tried this method and it didn't work until I installed the Alti-Barometer app on my Active 2.  Had it calibrate and now it works.  Feel kind of dumb having to lift my arms up like I am celebrating making it to the top of the steps everytime but at least it works now.

0 Likes
userXqtlDKQj69
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Holy smokes...the hands over head worked. 

You're a genius!!!

Thanks

0 Likes
userLhPEMCd3qI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This worked!  Completely ridiculous that after spending a few hundred dollars on a watch I need to "fool" it into working properly. Samsung, please listen to your customers and fix this issue

Rickster465
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm flabbergasted!  This actually seems to be working, at least most of the time.  It's a little disappointing, coming from a Fitbit Ionic that had no problems counting floors, but at least this helps count the floors.  So long as no one is around and doesn't watch me celebrating my conquering of one more floor.  Hahaha

0 Likes
userDlvq04DEWU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Surprisingly, a very quick test seems to show this works for me. That makes it all the more stupid that they haven't provided a setting for that to keep so many people from taking issue with it. I figured it was a hardware issue considering they haven't fixed it after this long.
0 Likes