cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy Watch water damage - Samsung won't cover it under warranty!

A few months ago, I bought a Galaxy watch to go with my S9. It was pretty expensive, but it worked great and I loved using it to get notifications and track my health and sleep. In addition, Samsung advertises the Galaxy watch as having 5ATM (50 meter) water resistance. I never trusted IP68 ratings, so I always avoided getting my phone near water, but I thought that (1) due to the 5 ATM rating and (2) due to Samsung’s advertising, that the watch would be fine with water.

However, last week, my watch suddenly became unresponsive. The screen wouldn’t turn on, and I tried holding the power button, holding both buttons, putting it on the charger - but nothing worked. My watch wouldn’t turn on. So, I reached out to Samsung on their online support chat with my problem, and the representative told me to send my watch in for repair, and that it would be covered under warranty. I sent out the watch thinking that everything would be fine.

Then, I got an email from Samsung my watch’s status was updated - my watch was now considered "out of warranty" and the repair bill was $190.

Shocked, I called Samsung’s support number and the agent told me that water damage was not covered by the warranty. I explained to her that Samsung’s advertisement of the swim tracking ability of the watch, combined with the 5ATM rating, should mean that the watch should be able to withstand getting splashed with water! How can it be my fault that the watch got water damage, when Samsung advertises you can swim with the watch! She agreed with me, but told me there was nothing she could do.

Now, just to make sure I wasn’t tripping myself, I looked back at the watch’s box - and right on the side, in big font, was: “Swim-ready water resistant (5 ATM / 50 meters).” And the disclaimer was “Water resistant up to 50 meters per ISO standard 22810:2010. Not intended for scuba diving. Avoid excessive temperature changes and high-velocity activities. Rinse in fresh water/dry after use.” Now, I never scuba dive (don’t even know how to) and I rarely go swimming. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I went swimming. The only time the watch has been exposed to water is when I rinse it under the faucet with *clean tap water* to clean off dirt or sweat.

For Samsung to not honor their warranty due to water damage is completely unacceptable, especially when the watch is advertised as “Swim-ready” and resistant to 50 meters of water pressure. I've spent

I am extremely upset and disappointed in Samsung. I switched from apple to Samsung with the Galaxy S7, and I’ve been loyally buying Samsung products since then, but their deliberately false advertising and their customer service’s sheer incompetence have made me reconsider hopping back to the apple ecosystem.

Some quick searching online shows that it's not just Samsung's "swim-ready" smartwatches that can experience water damage. There are a few people on Fitbit's forums that suffered from water damage after swimming with their watches. The difference is, Fitbit gave them replacements for free, while Samsung is making me pay $190! What a joke! 

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy Watch water damage - Samsung won't cover it under warranty!

Try calling them out publicly on social media.
Companies hate public, well deserved admonishment. I'd also include the BBB, consumer reports, Apple, and a news organization.
Let them get some bad press about their expensive devices. Let their competitors use it against them in their ads.

They've already been in trouble over their TV's and I think their is a lawsuit about their refrigerators.

I catchy hashtag won't hurt.

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have the watch too. For the watch to be in water you have to turn on the water proof mode. I made the same mistake, and my watch doesn't work anymore. Sorry man

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

@Samsung_R8dCbae

There is no "water Proof mode" to activate. You are probably thinking of the "Water LOCK Mode" which only has to do with the display touch function and speaker. Not improving the water seal. Look it up in the User Manual. 

Highlighted
Constellation

This isn't really true.  The waterlock mode just prevents the water from opening stuff on your screen.  And my watch died due to water damage with it on anyway.  Denied my in warrenty claim...and sent me back the watch (tonight) without the bezel.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have had the same issue.  I sent in the watch only to be told the repair was not covered.  I just tried chatting with samsung support and received the same response.  I filed a complaint with Samsung, but never heard anything back.  I'm game to do some social media publicity on this thing.  Looks like there is a pretty good number of us that could contribute.  

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm game as well .

Highlighted
Constellation

This is super upsetting.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER trust samsung when it come to warranty, if you want any device would covered by warranty go to APPLE

Highlighted
Asteroid

Truer words have never been spoken.  I had this same issue and they initially refused to fix it.  They eventually did.  Now, It's happened again and I make sure I don't get this thing anywhere near water.  Just a crappy product.  I'm going to make a Youtube video and post it today I think.