cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

Galaxy Wearable App crash Android 10

JUMP TO SOLUTION

*Edit* Since I posted this, the mod went ahead and posted a non-solution and marked it as the solution themself. That's discouraging. For anyone reading this thread, the mod's answer isn't a solution and I have since marked what worked for me as a solution. Good news, I got things working again, I'd like to hear if others can get the same result. When I first tried a factory reset of my watch and removed/reinstalled everythign - everythign to me was the Wearable App and the Plugin. I forgot about the Samsung Accessory Service and Samsung Pay. I also had Samsung Health and Smarthings installed. To be sure, I uninstalled all of those. I then factory reset my watch, installed the Wearable App, and went through the setup process again. Everythign now works. I believe it was the Samsung Accessory service messing things up. Kudos to @Charkatak for remembering the Accessory Service.

*Original Post*

After my Pixel 2 updated to Android 10 yesterday, the Galaxy Wearable App crashes when opening. It will open, but goes frozen for about 5 seconds, then instantly closes. I use it with my 42mm Galaxy Watch.

I tried clearing data and cache on the Galaxy Wearable app and the plugin, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried factory resetting my watch, tried pairing with and without backups. In every case, the watch will pair with my Pixel 2, but after that the Galaxy Wearable app crashes. I can see the transfer service icon in the notifications about every minute for a few seoncds, but nothing else. I don't get notifications or information from notificatiosn on my watch.

Searching for this sisue, it looks like others have it and have experienced this through the Android 10 beta, but I never had the beta and this is the official Android 10 release on my phone. I had this same experience when my phone first got Android 9 - my Galaxy Sport, at the time, wouldn't connect to my phone anymore until Samsung updated the apps. Is this the same story again?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy Wearable App crash Android 10

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You hit the nail on the head. I had only uninstalled the Wearable App and the Plugin, but I had left the Accessory Service. To be safe, I did the whole thing again, uninstalled the Wearable App, the Plugin, the Accessory Service, Samsung Pay (and uninstalled Samsung Health and Smarthings, too, to be sure). I then factory reset my watch, installed the Wearable App, and let it walk through everythign. It now works!

*Edited to include Samsung Pay

28 REPLIES 28
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userL41OmdMPwh wrote:

After my Pixel 2 updated to Android 10 yesterday, the Galaxy Wearable App crashes when opening. It will open, but goes frozen for about 5 seconds, then instantly closes. I use it with my 42mm Galaxy Watch.

I tried clearing data and cache on the Galaxy Wearable app and the plugin, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, tried factory resetting my watch, tried pairing with and without backups. In every case, the watch will pair with my Pixel 2, but after that the Galaxy Wearable app crashes. I can see the transfer service icon in the notifications about every minute for a few seoncds, but nothing else. I don't get notifications or information from notificatiosn on my watch.

Searching for this sisue, it looks like others have it and have experienced this through the Android 10 beta, but I never had the beta and this is the official Android 10 release on my phone. I had this same experience when my phone first got Android 9 - my Galaxy Sport, at the time, wouldn't connect to my phone anymore until Samsung updated the apps. Is this the same story again?

I have Pixel 2 which also got Android 10.  What do I need to do to replicate the issue?

userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Do you already have the Galaxy Wearable app installed? You shoudln't have to do much to try to recreate the issue if that's the case. Open the Wearable App and you should immediately see that its frozen for about 5 seconds (no response to taps, touches, etc.), then it closes and you'll be back at the Android home screen.

I appreciate you seeing if you get the same issue.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userL41OmdMPwh wrote:

Do you already have the Galaxy Wearable app installed? You shoudln't have to do much to try to recreate the issue if that's the case. Open the Wearable App and you should immediately see that its frozen for about 5 seconds (no response to taps, touches, etc.), then it closes and you'll be back at the Android home screen.

I appreciate you seeing if you get the same issue.

No, I don't have Galaxy Wearable app installed, as it was conflicting when I moved to S10, so I had to delete it prior to beta testing Android 10.  I will install it now

userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If that's the case, then you'll have to go through pairing a watch first. Once you do that, then you'll end up with the app crashing.

Thanks again.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userL41OmdMPwh wrote:

If that's the case, then you'll have to go through pairing a watch first. Once you do that, then you'll end up with the app crashing.

Thanks again.

As my watch is already paired to my Note10, I went ahead and paired my Galaxy Buds.  Don't know if the app behaves with buds a bit different than with the watch.  You mentioned that you removed Galaxy Wearable and Galaxy Plug in app, but what about Samsung accessory service?  This app is responsible for transfer icon you see.  Did you try removing it as well with the rest above mentioned apps?

userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You hit the nail on the head. I had only uninstalled the Wearable App and the Plugin, but I had left the Accessory Service. To be safe, I did the whole thing again, uninstalled the Wearable App, the Plugin, the Accessory Service, Samsung Pay (and uninstalled Samsung Health and Smarthings, too, to be sure). I then factory reset my watch, installed the Wearable App, and let it walk through everythign. It now works!

*Edited to include Samsung Pay

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userL41OmdMPwh wrote:

You hit the nail on the head. I had only uninstalled the Wearable App and the Plugin, but I had left the Accessory Service. To be safe, I did the whole thing again, uninstalled the Wearable App, the Plugin, the Accessory Service (and uninstalled Samsung Health and Smarthings, too, to be sure). I then factory reset my watch, installed the Wearable App, and let it walk through everythign. It now works!

Happy that it worked!  It is funny you accepted your comment as a solution instead of mine Smiley Happy

userL41OmdMPwh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No offense meant and seems reasonable to me. You didn't have a complete list of what to do in your post. If I accept yours, then there are the questions of what else was uninstalled, reinstalled, what wasn't reinstalled, and anything else. At least one person has let me know that just removing the Samsung Accessory Service didn't fix it. Seems its more a combination of several apps and may have included Smarthings, which I never reinstalled.

You certainly lead me down a more complete path, and I'm thankful for your help.

Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userL41OmdMPwh wrote:

No offense meant and seems reasonable to me. You didn't have a complete list of what to do in your post. If I accept yours, then there are the questions of what else was uninstalled, reinstalled, what wasn't reinstalled, and anything else. At least one person has let me know that just removing the Samsung Accessory Service didn't fix it. Seems its more a combination of several apps and may have included Smarthings, which I never reinstalled.

You certainly lead me down a more complete path, and I'm thankful for your help.

Not a big deal...

Here was my response:

You mentioned that you removed Galaxy Wearable and Galaxy Plug in app, but what about Samsung accessory service?  This app is responsible for transfer icon you see.  Did you try removing it as well with the rest above mentioned apps?