cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhodesmk
Asteroid

Galaxy Wearable Updated, now watch power drains quickly

My Gear S2 watch has never, ever gotten more than one day of life for the battery, but at least it would last the day. I typically placed it on the charger at bedtime with about 15 - 20% power left every day. However, after an update to my phone's Galaxy Wearable app a few days ago, now the watch lasts "maybe" eight hours. I put it on in the morning, and it dies while I'm driving home from work. 

I checked all the settings...nothing is different. WiFi, NFC, most everything else is off, I don't use the watch for music or pictures, my texts and voicemail come to the watch, and I check my HR once or twice a day. Brightness is on 5, and does not adjust for ambient lighting. Nothing is different in the settings, but now the battery life is worse than ever.

Anyone else noticing this issue? 

Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
_BG_
Constellation

Re: Galaxy Wearable Updated, now watch power drains quickly

yep, same here... I was getting 3 days on a charge, now it is about 1.5 days max. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@rhodesmk wrote:

My Gear S2 watch has never, ever gotten more than one day of life for the battery, but at least it would last the day. I typically placed it on the charger at bedtime with about 15 - 20% power left every day. However, after an update to my phone's Galaxy Wearable app a few days ago, now the watch lasts "maybe" eight hours. I put it on in the morning, and it dies while I'm driving home from work. 

I checked all the settings...nothing is different. WiFi, NFC, most everything else is off, I don't use the watch for music or pictures, my texts and voicemail come to the watch, and I check my HR once or twice a day. Brightness is on 5, and does not adjust for ambient lighting. Nothing is different in the settings, but now the battery life is worse than ever.

Anyone else noticing this issue? 

Thanks! 

What is your phone model?

Lets try something, but first make sure you have a latest backup(check galaxy wearable app)

Reset your watch, you can do it through your wache's settings.  After reset is done, setup up the watch and this time try restoring from backup.  Monitor for any battery changes, but we hope for improvement here. 

If in a day or 2 it didn't help, try resetting the watch again, but when setting it up, don't restore from back up for testing purposes.   Look for any positive signs Smiley Happy

_BG_
Constellation

to circle back on this... I was down to just about a day of battery life after that update. It is now back to 3 days. I uninstalled the Galaxy Wearable (Wear) app from my phone and reinstalled it. Also, power cycled the phone and watch again. That uninstall took around 45 minutes for whatever reason, but once it was reinstalled, I didn't have to set anything up and my watch battery life is back to what I was getting before.

I didn't see any other updates for firmware or the app during that time, so I don't think there was another fix that got pushed out, but I'm not 100% certain. Anyway, uninstall and reinstall the app is a pretty easy thing to try at least. Hope it works for you, too!

userfQcpkyWxIc
Constellation

I have a Gear S3 fron Januare this year. I have always have at least two days on the battery but the last two weeks I have to be lucky to get to the evening without it shutting down. 

Most days it dies before noon. Often It will alerts at 15% and before I can confirm switching to power save mode, it shuts down. 

Today it's quite good, but it will run dry before I go to bed. I don't really use the watch during the day, and I have no installed any new apps. 

user5awgCxirpo
Constellation

I am having the same issue.  Gear S2 Classic and since the last update the batter drains very quickly, in a hour or two.  Doe not happen on power save mode, but does still happen on airplane mode. I have tried resetting the entire device twice.  Samsung support only suggest I pay someone to look at the watch when this is clearly a software bug.