Original topic:

Galaxy watch 3 abandoned?

(Topic created: 11-11-2021 01:19 PM)
guitar1158
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Anyone else angry that the galaxy watch 3 already appears to have been abandoned in favor of the new wear OS before the watch was even a year old?  I have had various Samsung watches and phones for the last 7 years and have been very happy with them but I am a little angry that I decided to buy the watch 3 only to find out that it will not receive the new OS only 8 months after its release, and that they have also, seemed to abandon the the Tizen OS as I haven't seen an update to the watch software since April.  That's 7 months where it was getting updates every 1-2 months before that and even watch app updates have stopped as well.   If Samsung is going to abandon the watch after such a short period, they should at least give watch 3 owners full trade in credit towards the watch 4.   They are only giving $135 which is just an insult. 

I spent a lot of time reviewing and thinking about upgrading to the watch 3 then a month after I finally traded my old gear s3 frontier in for it, they announce a new OS. I was excited at first until I found a few months after that that the 3 wasn't going to get it. 

Hopefully something changes, but right now I'm a little mad about how things are going
9 Replies
moe
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Can't help you, but I can tell you that the Watch 3 is still getting another 2 years of updates.
0 Likes
guitar1158
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know that but it's obvious those are just going to be more security focused. I understand something like this for a device that's 2 or 3 years old, but they stopped with feature updates well before the device was even a year old. And on top of that, they are offering bottom dollar for a trade-in. It's just disappointing.
moe
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
That I'm going to have to agree with. I bought the Active 2 for $200 a few months before the the release of the Watch 4. Sadly, I'm going to have to suck it up and upgrade with a valuation of $40 on this watch.
KSal
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Couldn't agree more. The watch 3 is the only smartwatch I've purchased and now no updates since May. It's just been put on the back burner since the 4 was released. I should have upgraded when it first dropped with the 185 credit towards the 4. Pretty disappointing
0 Likes
ZeusD
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Two things- honestly the 3 didn't get many updates, even before the 4. And second- the 4 isn't great with the updates either(that's my perspective thus far).

Both came up short- actually, all of my Samsung watches have. Their division(I'm guessing this is a separate group) isn't at all exciting to me for updates, period...
0 Likes
guitar1158
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have to disagree with them coming up short. I think they have great features. Also, the 4 has only been out for 2 months and already has at least 1 update not sure how you can say it's lacking in updates at this point. I have enjoyed the watches and the updates until they stopped. To be honest, the watch is still great, I'm just disappointed that it stopped receiving features and enhancements so soon after release. I get that they have focused their efforts on the new OS and maybe it's not so simple to port it to the watch 3, but they should at the very least offer some sort extra trade in value.
0 Likes
moe
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just read an article on Engadget about how the Watch 3 along with other watches will soon be getting some Watch4 features. Better than nothing, imo.
0 Likes
guitar1158
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'll check again, but I have also read articles that have stated such. However, there were articles written after those that said samsung confirmed that the watch 3 will not receive wear os
0 Likes
DigitalKnight
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's also annoying that two different Samsung chat support agents said the watch faces for the Tizen watches (I had a GS3 Frontier) were compatible with Wear OS on the GW4, which is clearly not the case. All the faces I bought, gone in a flash and now I'm stuck with 3rd party watch face apps or those developed for Wear OS that almost always cost extra to unlock full functionality or all of the complications. Very frustrating.
0 Likes