Original topic:

Galaxy watch 4 will not work as a heart rate monitor in Samsung health

(Topic created: a month ago)
userGknxhIQJiE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have purchased the new Samsung watch 4 and while I love it, except the terrible battery life, I am unable to use it as a heart rate monitor within the Samsung health app when I am cycling.

Within Samsung health, I track my cycling, which has worked flawlessly with my previous Galaxy Fit 2 to track my heart rate. But with the watch 4, it will not even show as heart rate monitor while I start my cycling.

To cycle, I open Samsung health, then press the cycling exercise button and typically it detects my Fit2 as an HRM right away. But with the Watch4, it never shows as a HRM, and following the Accessories option just puts me into the Gear so which doesn't address this problem at all.

It is very disappointing that my $60 Fit2 can do this, but my $250 Watch4 can't!

Please fix this issue!

3 Replies
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userGknxhIQJiE It sounds like you are starting the tracking from Samsung Health on your phone. Have you tried launching the cycling workout from Samsung Health on the GW4? 

It won't update your phone information real time but will sync the info to the phone after your workout is complete. 

0 Likes
userGknxhIQJiE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Background.....

I have a bike that has a DuoTrap S cadence and speed tracker built-in that I have used with my phone (S20+5G) by launching the Samsung Health App and I am able to connect the DuoTrap S AND my Samsung Fit2 to get all of my important data into one app, Samsung Health.  I have been doing this for a couple of years and it works great!  Awesome, right?  Heart rate, cadence, speed all in one health app!

Now I upgrade to Samsung's flagship Watch4.  I should be able to open the Health app and track everything like it used to work - but, no it doesn't.  Not awesome!

So, Samung has left me with two unworkable options:

1) Launch from the watch and loose all of my DuoTrap data, like cadence and speed, but I get my heart rate info.  That's a fail! Especially since Samsung Health is my main health tracking app.

2) Launch the Samsung Health App and get my DuoTrap S cadence and speed, but loose connection to heart rate monitoring on the Watch4, the flagship watch from Samsung. That's a fail, especially since I am asking a Samsung watch to work with a Samsung phone and the Samsung Health app!!

This is unacceptable and needs to be resolved.  I may return my Watch4 if this expected capability from the Samsung ecosystem can't work.

userdB284GzbhL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I appreciate your sharing this, as I too have the DuoTrap S and S20 Note Ultra and am looking for a watch capable of managing all aspects of my fitness life. Disappointing, as I was waiting for the Galaxy Watch 4 to get some reviews from the cycling community. 

Sounds like Samsung needs to get it's engineering team on this issue!!

0 Likes