Original topic:

Galaxy watch significantly undercounting bike mileage

(Topic created: 07-25-2021 10:35 AM)
userib4sjTHZ8z
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the way the Galaxy Watch 3 calculates distance. The two screenshots below show the same exact bike ride recorded on the Samsung Health app on a phone and the Galaxy Watch 3. I find that the Galaxy Watch under counts distance in all cases, but mountain bike riding, which tends to have lots of trails with sharp turns that create very tight curling patterns, really exacerbates the issue. Both of these records show a longer calculation when uploaded to Strava as well, with the watch data showing a 42% longer ride when the same data is shown on Strava. 

Screenshot_20210725-132458.pngScreenshot_20210725-132518.png

1 Reply
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Watch
Lets see if i remember this from a bit ago.. the Samsung health strava sync thing is weird and something just gets wonky. Think its the reason why even importing data to it you use "race" or something. Helps the info not get mixed up and read right over the api or something. Galaxy distance or counters use the gps for a distance and then can start to approximate based on factors when it was locked in for whatever reason. The best thing to do is prior to your ride unsync your watch and leave your phone at home so wifi and such won't throw off the signal. Use a third party app for tracking distance and get a gps signal lock for a little bit before you go. Try that