cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userskc9PuTgiA
Asteroid

Garbage Technology and Design Flaw

Just had the worst experience ever with Samsung Support. I purchased a Samsung Active 2 Watch in July 2019. Screen recently stopped working while I was on a business trip.  Sent it in and was told it has water damage and the warranty was voided. If I wanted it fixed, I needed to pay $145 dollars. Wait??! WHAT? I just paid $280 for a smartwatch a bit less than 4 months ago and the warranty is VOIDED DUE TO WATER DAMAGE?!!! A watch that was advertised as being waterproof up to 5ATM....a watch that I never took underwater....has WATER DAMAGE?!! Are you serious?!! 

Upon looking further into this, there are SEVERAL reviews on the internet about the absolute shadiness of this alleged "SWIM" feature. NEWS FLASH: YOUR WATCH ISNT WATER RESISTANT! You really shouldn’t even wear it even near the water.  Ever.  Some people reported water damage from sweat. Sweat!!  Let’s just ponder for a moment the absurdity of a smart watch you can wear in water that isn’t supposed to get wet.  A “active” watch but don’t get too active....your sweat could damage it too.  

I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life. This is absolutely shameful. Stop telling people they can wear the darn watch in the water.  Better yet, tell them the only activity they should be doing is sitting on the couch.  I am assuming Samsung has the same concept of “active” as they do with “water resistant “. 

Either stand by your products or stop advertising them as such. So disappointed.  That is the last $280 you are going to get from me, Samsung.  Every opportunity I get I am going to give this watch poor reviews. If you are considering this watch and you lead an active life, take my advice and save your money.  Get a good pair of shoes. Buy a coat. Get a nice dinner.  You will get much better return for your money.  

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Garbage Technology and Design Flaw

It is incredibly annoying and inappropriate to use an assistance forum to complain that you broke your device.

5 ATM of water pressure means you shouldn't even let tap water hit the watch washing your hands or wear in the shower. Even steam can get into a device that is water RESISTANT up to 5 ATM. It is not a company's fault that you didn't know that. Your watch had water damage, they can only check that they can't tell you what you did without thinking about it to get water damage.

userskc9PuTgiA
Asteroid

You are actually both wrong. I did not '"break" my watch.  The Samsung Active 2 is has a swim feature...which I did not not use.  From Samsung's instructions from my watch and from their website: Use Water lock mode to swim with your Samsung smart watch. Going for a swim? Your smart watch is always ready for a dip. Just make sure you turn on Water lock mode to prevent accidental touches on your screen. It will also prevent you from accidentally activating your watch with a wake-up gesture while you're swimming. In addition, if you had not been so quick to judge me and done some researc,h you would also find a few advertisements from Samsung advertising this feature as well and ones that actually show people swimming. On Samsung's website.   

However, the other larger issue is that many people have actually not ever swam with their watches.  Their watches became water damaged from sweat.  And that is my point, if the watch is senstive to water/sweat, that is a design flaw based on who they are targeting this watch towards.  I have every right to use this forum for that purpose, to let Samsung know about the issue. I also have every right to be angry about the fact that my watch did not operate as it was advertised and post that information here.  You have every right to scroll right on by. 

userHNtsINwVas
Constellation

The screen on my S10 cracked about 3 months after I bought it. Had a screen protector, didn't drop it, didn't smash it. Just cracked while it was in my pocket. Samsung wanted $300 to repair it. So I emailed the Samsung North America CEO....about 2 days later I got a response. They told me to send it in and they repaired it free of charge. Give it a try...

userskc9PuTgiA
Asteroid

@userHNtsINwVas Thank you so much!  I appreciate that.  I will definitely do this.  I actually really like Samsung products so this was huge bummer for me. Thanks again. 

userhNU0utdemd
Constellation

My sister has the same issue. She never swims because she doesn't know how. Only has her watch to stay in touch with new tech. She went to get her watch repaired and Samsung told her the warranty was voided due to water damage. She was a Samsung fan. Now she still has Samsung products she has started buying Apple products for her children.

userskc9PuTgiA
Asteroid

Great news! For some odd reason, after I told Samsung I would not pay for the repair, they called me two more times asking when I was going to pay or they would return the watch.  They called again today.  I called back and once again explained my situation and how when I had asked to speak to a supervisior the previous rep told me "There isnt anyone besides me for you to speak to".  I explained  to today's rep that I have been a long time customer and I was using the watch in the way that Samsung has advertised it could be used.  I also added I am not a fisherman or a scuba diver so this watch was not coming in contact with large amounts of water.  In addition, I was a bit concerned about the number of phone calls Samsung had made to me about paying for the repair which made me feel like this was something beyond just charging for a "repair" but perhaps a money making scheme for the company.   At $145 (plus the $289 I already spent), I could use that money to invest in another company's smart watch which has better performance.  I had already told two other reps I was not going to pay for the repair.  So why the numerous phone calls?  

After a few minutes on hold, the rep returned and told me that the watch would be repaired free of charge.  Not exactly sure what happened however I am glad it is being resolved.  Moving forward, I wont even wash my hands with that watch on, if it starts raining I am running....... would still like to see Samsung clean up the issue with this watch in terms of moisture or stop advertising it as being suitable for water activities.  

Samsung Care Ambassador

@userskc9PuTgiA it's so great to hear you received a rightfully free of cost repair!😃

I wear my Galaxy Watch in the shower, rain, and have swam with it without experiencing any issues (both with waterlock mode on and off). It seems like most of the people having problems may have received a defective unit. Regardless, the watch was definitely designed to withstand swimming in a pool (and has the rating to prove it). 

userh8PvKQiAIV
Constellation

Yes I had the same experience and they did not stand behind it. I reported them to the Better Business Burea.