JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Assistant causing large battery drain on Galaxy watch 5

(Topic created: 09-19-2022 11:17 AM)
Bunnjovi
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the 44mm bluetooth version of the Galaxy watch 5, and I have been experiencing a large battery drain since the last software update ending in AVH6. The battery usage log shows Google assistant to be the largest amount by far ranging from 25-45% of the total consumption over the course of 1 day. I do not use Google Assistant very often. Maybe a couple of times a week. I have manually closed all of my apps and restarted the watch , and it seemed to help for a day or two, but started happening again. I just did a factory reset today and I will be monitoring the usage after doing this. I have the watch paired to my T-mobile Galaxy S20 5G.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Bunnjovi
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Update- I did change the setting to not listen for "Hey Google" all the time, and now the battery usage for Google Assistant is WAY down on the daily usage list.

View solution in context

10 Replies
Jim1590
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Is Google Assistant set to listen for "Hey Google"? If so, it is always active and listening, thus draining the battery.

Check settings and disable the always listening part and only activate by button push when you need it.

Bunnjovi
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Excellent idea! I just disabled that setting, and I will see what that does to the battery usage.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Solution
Bunnjovi
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Update- I did change the setting to not listen for "Hey Google" all the time, and now the battery usage for Google Assistant is WAY down on the daily usage list.

DaveJO
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have had the same issue with Watch5 Pro LTE, A much improved battery, hands down, a feature I have recommended after watch 3 and watch 4. The Watch5 Pro get 180.00 trade in value for a watch 5 get a free duo charger and $50 accessories, buy a couple of bands. I will try to locate the Google assistant settings. Google Assistant features are great. Turn off Bixby, not just remove permissions, will also increase battery life. WATCH5 Pro has a 592 mAh battery, much better than Watch5.
0 Likes
Prophet2k9
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Google assistant was taking 20 to 25 % of background battery life in a 8 hour period. Had to remove until one day gets fixed. 
GaryB82
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

I would suggest maybe resetting the watch and reset it up since ive been wearing mine for the last 2 days with only 3% going to Goggle Assistant

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like the post.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓ to Accept as Solution button.
Prophet2k9
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Not that desperate to use it. Bixby controls the watch better. thanks
O4liberty
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Watch
I find Google better than Bixby is and I can't see a battery difference.
0 Likes
Melzzzz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've heard the usage is astronomical with voice wake up on so I've kept that off and and I activate it by long pressing the power button.  Haven't had any battery issues (from assistant anyway!).