JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Heart Rate Sensor Glass Crack

(Topic created on: 2/16/20 7:48 AM)
userOFnuHx12O6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Galaxy Watch recently started overheating when charging so I called tech support.  The tech asked me the standard questions (model serial #, etc.) and had me do a factory reset.  While looking at the serial number, I noticed a hair line crack on the glass that covers the heart rate sensor.  I asked the technician if this is normal since it looks like a seam.  The tech said I would have to call back since this is a separate issue then overheating while charging?  I'm like what; how do you know the two issues are not related?  His response "it's not what you called about, so you'll need to call back".   I was not happy with his answer and calmly asked if there is supposed to be a crack or a seam on the back glass?  He said your watch is over a year old and out of warranty, but did not answer my question.   I have purchased numerous Samsung devices like many of you on these forums (too many phones, TVs, computer monitors, etc.) to receive customer service this bad.  The company can easily  confirm the registered products we purchase .  I spent a lot of money for this watch, to pair with my Galaxy S10+ and disgusted with the company's customer support.   I recommended this watch to my friends since it was water resistant, and now regret telling anyone I liked it.  Who knew a $400 watch was designed to be a throw away after 14 months?

A shame this company can't do better :(   

Sorry for the long rant, but it is time to start supporting competing products that treat customers better. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to assist you further. Can I please have your full model number, serial number/ IMEI, and pictures of the symptom you are experiencing in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

5 Replies
Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to assist you further. Can I please have your full model number, serial number/ IMEI, and pictures of the symptom you are experiencing in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

userOFnuHx12O6
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung Tech support reached out and exchanged my watch.  Thank you Adam and Jam for finding a reasonable solution.   This is the kind of support loyal Samsung customers should receive.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
userfaNhxKirR1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Same issue. Mine was 14 months old and overheated when charging. There was no physical damage to the case indicating I had dropped it. After examination by Samsung, they found a hairline crack in the heart rate sensor which had let water in and therfore they claimed it was my fault for damaging the watch somehow. They advertise this watch as being deisgned to military specs and being tough and rugged. My experience would indciate otherwise. Samsung refused to replace the watch under warranty and despite my local consumer affairs department agreeing with me that the watch was either defective or not up to its advertised specifications, Samsung Australia has simply refused to honour the warranty. This is despite us being on our 8th Galaxy phone, SAmsung TV and tablet. I'm about to buy a new TV and on principle, it will not be a samsung as they simply refused to warrant what appears to be a design fault. I'm glad you had better luck.  

Dtaaffe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had a similar situation.... For the past 2 weeks my watch has been overheating while charging and while I'm wearing it. Initially it would just get really hot over the sensor and I would have to take the watch off. Then it started shutting down for being too hot. After reading replies on here I checked the sensor cover and noticed a small crack. I called customer support and asked if the crack could have come from over heating but couldn't get an answer. The only thing they would tell me is the overheating is covered but the crack isn't. I couldn't get an answer whether the crack could have come from the overheating though. I have not dropped my watch once or hit it on anything. It is now going to cost me $117 to repair the sensor cover. I still think the crack came from the overheating but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. VERY VERY disappointed with a watch that costs this much from Samsung.

0 Likes
userblV9NxudSa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just got off the call with Samsung. $350!!!! The heart rate sensor had cracked when overheating and water had made its way inside the unit. Its supposed to be waterproof! According to Samsung, this invalidates the warranty. A fault, which they knew about, as described above, has caused water to ingress into the unit. As a proud owner of an s10 and galaxy buds, I expect quality. I expected this with the watch. The water damage was caused by the crack which is a known unit fault. If it had been the front screen I would be more than happy to take the blame. It was not, its a manufacturing fault causing the slightest of hairline cracks, which I didnt notice and carried on my day.  To say I am dissapointed is an understatement. The service department, the service center and the case management center were not interested in negotiating the price down. I told them to return the unit immediately. I will not be held to ransom for a fault caused by substandard equipment. This is a disgrace. When it is well documented above in other posts, surely they should be more accommodating. Absolute disgrace. @SamsungAdam