Original topic:

Heart rate monitor glass crack and overheating

(Topic created: 09-24-2021 11:13 AM)
userT2tkUZnjPY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I enjoy Samsung products due to their high quality and the great customer service. My samsung galaxy watch started overheating. After looking at the back of the device I found the class covering the heart rate monitor was cracked. Googling this issue I have found several instances, including here on the samsung community where this is a known issue and samsung has repaired the devices. However, when I sent my watch in for repair, samsung requires that I pay $300 to get the device fixed; double the cost of buying the watch new. They claim that there is liquid damage. I tried to explain that people don't look at the back of their watch (because its on their wrist) and that as soon as I noticed the crack (due to it overheating when charging) I stopped wearing it. The watch lasts 2 days or more on battery so anytime during that time the crack could have let moisture in. And that it was because of the crack, which is a known manufacturing defect issue, that the watch is overheating and not working. They even tried to tell me that the watch is not marketed as to be used during wet weather or swimming. Which is completely false. I am completely dissatisfied with the customer service that I have received for the repair of my watch. I really liked my samsung galaxy watch. It was one of the best ones available on the market, it had great features (even a swimming tracker), and I was considering getting one for my wife and older children. However, if samsung does not stand behind their products then I will go elsewhere.

0 Likes
1 Reply
JosephnK
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Watch
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. They have tracking for swimming, but won't cover it if water gets inside. I only buy Samsung devices through retailers with an in person protection plan. Ever since my S8 fell onto carpet from a crouching position and got a crack following the curved edges in a big "C" shape, I've come to expect some level of "designed to fail" with every Samsung product. It's much easier to take it into a store and reason with a human. Samsung customer support will just give you the runaround every couple days if you try to email them.
Charging more than the cost of the device for a repair is heinous and should be unlawful. Terrible business, but what do I know? The flimsy plastic retention ring that holds the bezel on broke on my galaxy watch. I managed to find the bearings, and threw the whole thing in a Ziploc bag and that's where it sits to this day. I've since gotten an s21 ultra, watch active 2, watch 4, and tab S7. The in person protection plan pays for itself the first time you have to use it. I won't even consider "Samsung care +" on principle, and from prior experience with Samsungs customer "support".
0 Likes