Original topic:

Heart rate or bike dashboard, but not both?

(Topic created: 04-30-2021 08:35 AM)
glissemaster
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
My wife gave me a Samsung Active for my birthday to replace my aging Fitbit Versa. I was excited to see that the Samsung Health app has a bike dashboard. However, the heart rate is missing from the layout. Furthermore, when I start the workout in my phone (so I can see the dashboard), my heart rate is not recorded at all during the workout. 

The only way I can get the heart rate to record or display it real time is if I start the workout on the watch -- but then I can't use the dashboard. Also, this forces me to look at my watch while riding which is frankly unsafe -- especially since one generally has to toll their wrist a couple of times to view it, then hope your on the right screen since swiping between screens takes two hands and two eyes.

Does anyone have a solution?

I'm also curious, are any of the Samsung watch developers cyclists? If so, do they use their products?

It seems heart rate info is pretty important to cyclists.
7 Replies
userWMrUqxr4vz
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just posting here to second this frustration in the hopes that someone from Samsung will take the community seriously. It doesn't make any sense to me that the HR data isn't recorded during a workout started from the phone. This is arguably one of the most important data points during a workout and it can't possibly be that hard to get working on Samsung's side.

I'm going to try to get around this (partially) by starting 2 workouts; one from my watch and one from my phone, and I'll delete the one on my phone after the workout. I won't be able to safely see my heartrate using the dashboard during the workout but at least I'll have a record of it afterwards. This will also be a drag on battery life for both my watch and phone instead of just one. I'll be checking to see it my wife's Iphone and apple watch can do this and maybe this will be another check on returning to apple. Get it together Samsung.

Also hoping that anybody else in the community that has this frustration will post here to word support for the feature request.

oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Don't count on anyone from Samsung listening to anything going on here.  As for Samsung Adam's reply that he will forward it to those who are in power, don't count on that either.  As long as the number of watches on the shelves continue to be sold, Samsung isn't going to put anything into improvement.  Case in point, there has been a request and subsequent HUGE thread requesting the ability to take SpO2 readings not only spot checking during the day, but allowing either night continuous readings, or the option to read 24/7.  These have been ignored while virtually every other sportwatch maker that has SpO2 capibilities, have the option.  Couple that with the incessant HR dropping out during any period of activity that isn't an actual Exercise, still not addressed, don't put much faith in anything in here.  I've had better, and more accurate responses in the Facebook forum than here.  Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

userATiOGGaBen
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I too find this annoying. the dashboard would be great if it would also record my heart rate via my Active2.
drayx2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I am looking for the same answer
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

glissemaster
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

When I posted this problem, I was really hoping someone would have a solution. It's hard to believe the Samsung Active 2 can't even talk to my Samsung phone with Samsung Health in real-time. I think it's important for people who are looking at this phone as a fitness device to be aware that it CAN NOT function as an external sensor -- only as a stand-alone workout device. THIS MEANS YOU CAN NOT MONITOR YOUR HEART RATE ON YOUR PHONE IN REAL TIME WHILE WORKING OUT. In addition, if you start your workout using the Samsung Bike Dashboard (which is actually quite nice except for the heart rate thing), your heart rate WILL NOT even be recorded. While this may work well for running, walking or hiking, it is NOT a viable biking option. If you bought a bike during the pandemic (like half of the world apparently), you should look at another option. Unless I'm missing something (and I don't think I am), this watch CAN NOT be used to monitor your heart rate on your phone during a workout in real-time. In other words, if are a cyclist, this watch is garbage. DO NOT BUY! 

Here are some keywords for Google: Samsung Active Garbage, Samsung Active cycling, Samsung Active terrible, Samsung Active suck-s, Samsung Active biking, Samsung Active do not buy, Samsung Active read this before you buy, Samsung active, Samsung Active Strava, Samsung Active Map My Ride, Samsung Active Kahoot, Samsung Active awful, Samsung Active unsafe, Samsung Active dangerous.

oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

About monitoring your heart rate in real time, there have been threads that the watch/Health app simply does not compute calories burned using heart rate, but rather use only your BMR, BMI, and height/weight, etc to calculate calories burned.  Only for running (I believe it is) does the system take into account your actual heart rate.  That being said, it would seem that according to Samsung, it's superflous information to check your heart rate...  (a little sarcastic here, but alas, it is what it seems, no?)