cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How are my heart rate zones calculated?

How are my heart rate zones (maximum, vigorous, moderate) calculated? I assume the zones are calculated as percentages of my maximum heart rate, based on a formula: the Info button says the max can be estimated by subtracting age from 220)? My profile on the Samsung Health app has my approximate birth date and therefore has my age.

The above formula does not work for me: the formula says my max should be 153 (220 minus 67), but during workouts, this watch and other fitness watches have recorded maximums of 185 or more. (Just to be clear, I am aware that the maximum heart rate recorded during a workout is not necessarily my maximum possible heart rate.)

Can I enter my own max? (A workaround: I can change my birthdate in Samsung Health, making me 32 years younger!)

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: How are my heart rate zones calculated?

Hey @user7IDjPBVGcC ,

While that calcuation is the most common it does also depend ones overall health and physique you may see a variable of 10-30 beats in either direction.  Also found this PDF which I hope you find helpful.   https://docs.google.com/a/eastmountainhigh.net/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxlbWhzcG...

If you found this helpful please leave a like and check the solved icon.

Take Care,

ddsanchez_82

Highlighted
Constellation

I have this same concern.  The Max, Vigorous and Moderate heart rate zone activity post-workout does not reflect what mine should be for my age.  I would have thought this was calculated using the 220-age formula, but it couldn't be.  My question is whether there is a plan for the app to use the birthdate that is provided to create these ranges, or if there is a method by which the user can enter these manually.  I love the Samsung Health app, but I'm having to keep a separate spreadsheet to track.  I'm trying to strengthen my cardiovascular system but I'm also trying to lose weight, and these goals happen in different heart rate zones.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hi there! I recommend reaching out to our Samsung Health team for support. They can be reached at 1-855-795-0509

Highlighted
Asteroid

I called the support number. Here is what I found out:

1. Go to the Samsung Health app on my phone.

2. Scroll down and press on Heart rate.

3. Click on the "i" icon (i on a small round circle)

4. There is a long explanation about heart rate. There are two things there related to my questions as follows:

A. Exercise heart rate zones are Moderate (50-69%), Vigorous (70-90%), and Maximum (91-100%).

B. There is a statement that "Your maximum heart rate can be estimated by subtracting your age from 220." There is also a statement that intensity (that is, the zones) are a comparison of my current heart rate against "the estimated maximum heart rate for your age." It could be inferred that the 220 formula is used to calculate the maximum heart rate (although it is not actually stated).

I asked the support rep for the ability to enter my own maximum heart rate, seeing that the App's calculation is 32 beats lower than my actual maximum heart rate, which in turn means all the calculated zones are not close to being correct. She will forward this suggestion to the developers.