Original topic:

I cannot navigate with google maps without phone using watch 4 LTE

(Topic created: 07-28-2022 12:43 AM)
BioGeneGalaxYs236555
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I tried everything all permissions i set enable, gps, etc. But i always get the message "connect to the smartphone" when i open google maps. As i can see some people can use google maps standalone with GW4 and others have the same issue. I think this is a bug, some people make crazy configuration that doesn't make any sense and claim that works. So how can i make google maps works without my phone?

7 Replies
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
Your post is a little unclear to me, but let me take a stab at this.

Samsung makes two types of Watch4 devices. One is Bluetooth (BT) only, the other has both Bluetooth and LTE connectivity.

With the Watch4 BT you must connect the watch to your phone to use many of the features of the watch.

With Watch4 LTE it is the same situation if you're connection via BT; however, if your Watch4 is in LTE mode you don't need to be connected to your phone. The LTE connection requires that you purchase an additional phone line from your carrier.

Google maps requires you to connect to the internet to update the map as you move. You can download sections of the map to assist with the map loading in areas where network coverage is spotty or not existent. Road conditions will be missing in those areas.

I hope this helps.
BioGeneGalaxYs236555
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! As i said before that i cannot navigate with google maps using my Watch4 LTE. I let my phone at home and go to walk, spotify, internet, make calls, everything works fine, because my Watch4 use an esim. But only google maps doesnt works, showing that message to connect to my phone. When both are connected google maps works fine on Watch4.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch
I would assume then the watch does not have enough memory capacity to run without the phone.
0 Likes
Rogue18
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'd like to add to his question, because I have the exact same issue even with full bars fir my LTE GW4 Classic. I just bought my watch a few weeks ago. All that's been added is the updates and a few apps to mirror my phone. I really have a hard time believing my watch doesn't have enough memory. Could it maybe be an issue witha recent update?
0 Likes
Rogue18
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Anyone else been having issues getting Google Maps to work for GW4 using LTE? I've made sure all permissions are active on the watch and my Galaxy Note 10 Plus. The watch is remotely connected to my phone and GPS is turned on for both devices. And it still asks me to connect to a phone from the watch. I'm at a loss...I've seen others say it works and that it doesn't and seen videos on YouTube showing it working with the process to get it to work, which I've done, and still nothing....ever since I got this watch it's felt like I have to jump through hoops or bang my head against a wall to get these things to work. For example, I still dont k ow how my bixby assistant can send messages via voice using LTE, but when i manually try to send a text using G-board in the samsung message app it asks me to check my connection. But when im connected to my phone it's no problem...? I'm seriously considering returning the dang thing and calling it a day.
1stLadyRed
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I was having google map issues Wednesday morning it sent me in circles and froze.
0 Likes
Rogue18
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Was that on the watch on LTE or connected to your phone via BT?
0 Likes