JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

I want to separate watch line from phone line

(Topic created: 06-17-2021 10:53 AM)
usergIbwyjplwG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I bought my son an Active 2 from Sprint, thinking that he could have his own separate line through the watch. He doesn't have a phone. I had to pair it to MY phone to get it to activate and now my contacts are on there, it says my name even though I registered a Samsung account for him and my text messages come through on the watch even though it's a different number. Is there a way to separate them? I added a line to our Sprint account when I bought the watch and it has a different phone#.

4 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@usergIbwyjplwG, even though the watch has a separate number and service through your carrier, the watch and that number are tied to an existing phone number.

The cell phone number is basically the primary number for the watch. Calls to the phone can be answered on the watch even when the watch and phone are in two separate physical locations. The phone number used by the watch is used for 2 things:

1. by your carrier to route calls to the watch. These are calls that have been made to your phone's number. 
  2. to allow the watch to get calls when it is not within Bluetooth range of your phone. 

You can not call the watch's number directly. The watch is not a stand alone phone. 

It is very similar to when you get a tablet with cellular service. A number is assigned to the tablet but it is used for cellular data only. You can not place calls to the tablet's number. 

usergIbwyjplwG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
So it's permanently tied to my line and can't be separated?
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@usergIbwyjplwG 

"So it's permanently tied to my line and can't be separated?"

You can get another phone (and phone line) and have it attached to that one. 

OR you should be able to (a) discontinue service on the watch and (b) use it as a Bluetooth only watch. This would require you to Bluetooth pair it to a phone.

Jw-83
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Check with your carrier to see if you are able to get a sim card for the watch. This will allow it to have a separate number but also requires a separate plan. They usual cost around $10 a month. He'll be able to make/ receive calls and texts from the watch without pairing it to your phone.