cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmic Ray

Multiple feature requests - Pedometer, HR graph, Sleep graph

I would like to request for cumulative pedometer graph visualization. Every health app that exisit in the world show walk count in bar graph. That is okay but if this data is visualized in cummulative line graph, it suddenly becomes more insightful. One company in particular realized that but they do not exist anymore. But I am still rocking Pebble watch now and then when I take break from Galaxy Watch S2. I am soon upgrading to Active 2 and I desperately need this. Let me explain -

Screenshot from SHealth -

SHealth.jpg

Three horizontal dots represent 1 hour i.e., three bars represent 1 hour or 1 bar represents 20 minutes. Yes there are lots of activity in the evening after 6 PM. We are more accustomed to visualizing longer bars as more activity than number of smaller bars clubbed together. Take for example a walk starting from 12:00 to 12:20 will get represented in one single line. But the same walk taken from 12:10 to 12:30 will get represented in two half height lines. In this example, first representation will look more agressive than second but in fact both are same.

Screenshot from Pebble -

PebbleScreeshot.jpg

Lets look at Pebble representation. Green line/area is current cumulative step count. Rising line shows total count at that time in the graph timeline. It is more easy to visualize how many steps I have taken so far. The yellow line/area is typical trend of Wednesday and I am competing against my own trend of that weekday. I started lagging by small margin in the afternoon. Started lagging more in the early evening. I saw the graph and realized oh let me win against my trend and I went out for a walk. Had it been bar graph, comparison would not have been possible, nor I would have seen where I started lagging against my trend.

Feature request -

Yes obviously some kind of this representation but I want more. The trend thats is in yellow above, I want it to be user selectable to a) weekday trend of myself over period of x weeks b) trend of last 7 days or x days c) tread of people in my age bracket d) trends of my best friends e) so and and so forth.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Pedometer/Walk cumulative visualization feature request

While waiting for Active 2 to reach me, I started using Samsung Health app in phone to track my walk workouts. I used to use MapMyWalk prior to Samsung Health. I am so glad that these two apps talk to each other, I can log with any app and data gets shared between both. This definitely helps to transition from one app to another. Like in MapMyWalk, Samsung Health app speaks out workout status every 1 km. All good except reported current speed is usually very less. For example it will announce - 1 km completed, current speed is 3.8 kmph, average speed is 6 kmph. What?? I know I am walking in almost constant speed for the last 10 minutes and how come current speed is so less. The same erronous data gets plotted in the graph as well. Look at these screenshots -

Avg speed = 3.94 km / 39.75 min * 60 min = 5.94 kmph which is correct as calulated by the app -

SHealth Summary.jpg

Have a look at speed plotting in the graph below. If my average speed is 5.9 kmph, the lines should have averaged around 6 (marked by small red arrow). The visual representation makes it look like average is less than 5 (once you have realized it is wrong, then you cannot unsee it any more). Samsung please correct this graph as well.

Shealth graph.jpg

Phone: Galaxy Note 10+

Android: 10

One UI: 2.0

Samsung Health: 6.8.6.003 (downloaded from Galaxy Store for newer version than available in playstore)

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I got hold of Active 2 few days back. It is way lot sexier than Gear S2. The first setting I changed was to monitor HR continuously. Several generations up from Gear S2, I took for granted this watch will not miss reading pulse here and there, and it did not. Great!! I also took liberty to take for granted Active 2 and Note 10 Plus with coexist like nail on finger. Somewhat not correct. Let me explain with following two recent workouts I took.

1. I test start/stopped workout from watch app, widget, health centric watch face - everything looked normal. I confirmed addition of HR line in the graph. As I was habituated from last few weeks, I started Health app in the phone, started walk workout. Everything worked as it should. Progress voice prompt played though Level U Pro as usual. When I was done, there was no HR line in the workout activity. No I didn't wear watch loose, continuous HR reading was there inside HR menu. I came to realize that workout started from phone app works independent.

2. Today I started walk workout from watch widget. Progress status is split in three screens allowing bigger fonts but after few seconds it goes back to watchface. The concept of bigger easy to read font is automatically nulled. Even if it had stayed like AOD, checking progress on the watch is still not that comfortable (subjective view). To my dismay, there was no voice progress prompts every km. Level U Pro was connected to phone and was playing streaming music. Had I connected headphones to watch instead, notifications might have come but this is not a solution because (a) I listen to Amazon Music and I am pretty sure there is no watch app for that and (b) I don't want to upload mp3s. This clearly shows Active 2 and Note 10 act and work as two independent devices and they have nothing in common except the Health app. The good news however is - speed graph when tracked from watch is correct.

Feature request - Please marry Active 2 to Health app in the phone such that irrespective of where workout is started from, progress can be checked in any device. Voice prompts on the headphone if connected. Read HR even when workout is started from phone app.

Note avg speed is 6.4 kmph and it is graphed correctly -

Screenshot_20200215-011502_Samsung Health.jpg

I am intentionally posting one at a time in the gap of several days because I want this thread keep popping up at the top now and then and Samsung really notices this. Leaderboard watch widget says I am at the top 5% of all users - this tells I am pretty serious about my health, and so on the analysis/statistics. I see Samsung innovating everywhere, please assign some creative heads in health section too.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Thank you for your interest in sharing your ideas with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

In today's experiment, I started workout in Active 2 and phone at the same time. As expected, there were two entries in the Health app. The 1st km announcement by phone app was hilarious - "current speed is 2.9 kmph, average speed is 6.4 kmph". Below are screenshots. Please NOTE clear difference in avg speed plotting (cyan line) -

Left image - phone app recorded workout. Avg speed manual calculation is 6.592 kmph

Right image - Active 2 recorded workout. Avg speed manual calculation is 6.564 kmph

Health App.jpg   Active 2.jpg 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

HR Reading

This post is about HR reading and graphing anomalies. Active 2 has 3 settings, two of which are every-ten-minutes-while-still and continuous. The first option is recording only 1 reading per hour. There are many forum posts where people have mentioned this. In this mode, even while resting/sleeping, it still records 1 reading per hour. Maybe Samsung is reading multiple times and averaging to one record. I should someday check if green led lights up more than once in this mode.

Coming to continuous mode, there is issue in graphing. I wish Samsung took this more seriously. Let me explain with help of these screenshots.

#1. Following snapshot is full day continuous HR graphing. Every two dots represent 1 hour. For easy reference I have marked hours at the bottom of x-axis. The gap in the morning and evening are when I took it off for break/shower/charging.

SH - Full day - Hours marked.png

#2. Following snapshot is hourly min-max view. If we compare with above graph (#1), the max values are distinctly higher (easier to see in the morning hours). Lets take for example 2-3 AM slot, marked with single line in below graph. The max looks like it is above 90. This max 90 is not represented in continuous graph (#1)

SH - Full day - Hourly minmax - Hours marked.png

#3. Following graph is hourly breakdown of 2-3 AM. The max (circled) reading is 93 but nowhere in the graph has spike reaching as high as 93. The one around 2:10 AM is only around 80. This max is in tandem with max of graph #2. Graph line plotting is off.

SH - Hourly 2 to 3 AM.png

The missing peaks in the line graph could be result of beizer curving (smoothing) function. Or it could be averaging function. I would definitely prefer looking at smooth lines that zagged graph. I prefer continuous graph and I guess most of us have this as default. But my fear is, huge HR spikes for small interval can be missed in this view.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Sleep Tracking

I am sleep tracking OCD personality. I always wished to own Intel's Basis Peak smartwatch for its detailed sleep analysis. This watch has been discontinued. Check picture #1 below, in addition to regular smartwatch analysis, it counted toss n turns as well. The only missing feature was snore analysis.

Pebble sleep analysis (the one which didn't have HR) as shown in picture #2 gave reading that was accurate to sleep time, but it didn't have REM detection, and I wouldn't fully trust deep sleep measurements.

Active2's sleep analysis I presume should be accurate as I tracked below with continuous HR. For the sake of comparing, I wore both of them in my left and right hands and went to sleep.

Samsung has chosen to split analysis to individual portions of the sleep. As you can see in picture #3, my sleep is split in two parts because I took a washroom break. I don't know how average people sleep, I usually have to take at least 1 break at night. Picture #4 shows only two nights in that week I didn't take break. At the top of the graph, there is total sleep time. But I am interested in total REM, Deep sleeps of that night. With how it is implemented right now, I have to do manual calculation. And when sleep portions are short, it doesn't graphically show 'Typical range' (check #3 left screenshots - it is represented by perforated parts in the bar graph for REM, light, deep sleeps).

Feature Request: Please have option to choose multiple sleep portions and show total count/percentages of REM, Light, Deep sleeps. You can make sleep portion selection behave like checkboxes.

Picture #1: Sleep analysis of Intel's Basis Peak smartwatch. Note toss n turns. Image taken from internet -

Basis Peak Sleep Analysis.jpg

Picture #2: Pebble smartwatch sleep analysis (cyan is light sleep, blue is deep sleep) -

Pebble Feb 24 Sleep.jpg

Picture #3: Samsung Health sleep analysis for the same night as #2 (note - only portion of sleep can be chosen at a time. Left and right portions clicked) -

SHealth Left.jpg  SHealth Right.jpg

Picture #4: Weekly sleep analysis (note bathroom breaks) -

SHealth Weekly Graph.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.