JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch 46mm wake-up gesture not working

(Topic created: 12-13-2018 04:39 AM)
userkBFDq3UShG
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I purchased a new Galaxy Watch 46mm and everything is working good except for the wake-up gesture. It probably seems like 1/30 times I can get it to wake up, otherwise not. I looked in the settings and the wake-up gesture is enabled and I tested turning the option off then back on, but no luck.

How can I fix this??

189 Replies
ibmrme
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had the same issue and returned my original watch and got a replacement. With the replacement I left the default watch face.I also turned off the wake-up gesture at night when I sleep and turn it on in the morning. It's been a few days and it seems to be working okay.

Something I did notice when I had the original watch. I would reset the watch and the wake-up gesture would work. Then I would update the Alarm app and the wake-up gesture would start getting buggy. Same thing if I updated the alti-meter app. On the new watch, I removed the Alarm app and the Alti-Meter app. I just reinstalled the Alti-Meter app and it works fine. Not sure if those app updates are causing some type of glitch. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had the same issue and was so frustrated to the point of returning the watch. When I realized that the "Goognight mode" should be off, I did so and the gesture mode starting woring. I think that there is a text that warns you that the wake-up gesture will be muted just before you turn on the "Goodnight" mode.

Later on, I though about why the "Goodnight mode" being on should turn off the wake-up gesture. I THINK SAMSUNG IS CORRECT TO DESIGN IT THIS WAY. You can turn on this mode any time if you want to have a break from notification of have a nap during the day. Otherwise, this feature needs to be off. Remember that the "Do not disturb" mode under advanced settings can be set permanently for when you go to bed and when you wake up. You set this and forget about it so your phone does not disturb you at night. The "Goodnight mode" is forcing the phone to not disturb you when you want to go without notfication. When you are ready to receive notification, you turn it on again. Think of the 'tab' that used to be on the side of iPhones (before iPhone X came along).

My only suggestion to Samsung would be to swap the names of these two features. I will help people understand beter. 

0 Likes
DarkHorseDre
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I think you're right, except it seems both features do a similar thing: stop disturbances when set.

I would say the problem is the Goodnight mode mentions "sleeping" and the samsung health app detects sleep via the watches sensors.  but, the Goodnight mode does NOT enable when sleep is detected, rather, we have to tell the watch that we are going to sleep for us not to be disturbed!  That makes no sense and has clearly confused people.   we receive notificaitons about our sleep patterns and analysis and have a goodnight mode, yet the phone doesnt detect sleep with goodnight mode...

Better for us to have a schedulable DND feature and remove bedtime mode, OR, have bedtime mode detect sleep and automatically disable notifications when enabled.  This would differentiate goodnight from DND (and theatre mode?!?!)

The FEW sub-features which are controlled by the THREE functions can be options of a single DND setting (or configurable within a goodnight and DND mode, losing theatre mode):
. schedule on/off times (and add multiple schedules so weekend and weekday times can vary as in real life!)

. turn screen off

. disable notifications and vibrations

. enable/disable alarms during DND

. enable/disable system sounds during DND

in addition to allowing ad-hoc enable/disable of DND at any time.

I have Samsung TVs, phone, tablet and now the watch and they seem to always convolute the UI design.  Lets not mention the dedicated Bixby button on my S8! Uff..

0 Likes
UnlikeLiam
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

You cant blame Samsung for trying to get on the AI Assistant train, however they messed up the Bixby delivery.

Forcing it on to the general public indicates that it is a finish product that has undergone rigorous testing and user trials and that users will be better off with it. if it was a viable competitor to Google, Siri or Alexa then we wouldnt see the dedicated button as a forced feature.

If im honest if it was a dedicated Google Assistant button i would be chuffed, Bixby just isnt there yet! 

I too have Samsung TV, Phone and Watch and im chuffed with all three and i really want the Galaxy Home, on style alone it has my attention but i just wouldnt want to tussle with Bixby!

0 Likes
DarkHorseDre
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

lol I am referring to the placement of the button - it is accidentally pressed more than intentionally - this is bad design!

This is my point: Samsung often break design conventions and overcomplicate user interfaces.  My two 2018 samsung TVs dont have settings in the same place, my phone and tablet has bloatware and too many Samsung apps named differently making appear in different parts of an alphabetical list, they have 3, yes 3 DND style settings which are poorly explained.  This thread is 12 pages long and can be boiled down to this simple line:

"DND, thatre mode and goodnight mode disable this gesture.  also, the phone can detect sleep but wont for the sleep mode"

poor by any objective standard.

0 Likes
UnlikeLiam
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I was just discussing this with my colleague, the issue has been resolved on pretty much every page but people still report the issue because they dont read the thread.

0 Likes
DarkHorseDre
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yeah but unfortunately thats standard forum behaviour 🙂

To be fair though, Samsung didnt do a good job in being definitive with a response.

They didnt clarify the way these features INTENTIONALLY disable the gesture, and that there is more than one feature that does this!!

They could have closed this issue down ages ago.  explaining this clearly then locking the thread with that post would have done the trick..

0 Likes
usermv7dKPyY3P
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

How do i turn off the good night mode ?

0 Likes
user4niBML833y
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userCjF85DvAJW wrote:
- switch off the wake-up gesture
- turn the wake-up gesture on again
- switch the watch completely off (hardware button)
- switch the watch on again.

check if e.g. G sleep app, causes this

I was having a similar problem with my new 46mm Galaxy Watch. I solved my problem by doing the following:

• go to 'Setting'
  • scroll to 'Advanced'
  • then go to 'Goodnight mode'
  • and make sure you turn it to 'off'

I found out that 'Goodnight mode' overrules 'Always on' and 'Wake-up gesture'

I hope this helps. Good luck.

0 Likes
userzji3fBxX5t
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

You have to admit. This is the silliest problem that could arise on a smartwatch. I bought the galaxy watch 4 weeks ago. I hate it. I think Samsung have got a very sloppy product here.  Not withstanding, they know this is an issue but refuse to admit it. There is ample discussion on the internet about it and yet they still have not done an update to fix it.