cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userQsK6ELqKfJ
Astronaut

Re: New Galaxy Watch calories burned issues

I have been using fitbit for years  Just got the Galaxy watch and was concerned on ho was closer to being correct. I love my smartwatch features but I really watch my calories burn for my weight loss journey . Just wanted to let you know this was helpful to me  Thanks for sharing 

userGivvxmcCR4
Constellation

I agree with you.

Ar first, I was very upset that the galaxy show a lot less calories burned than the Fitbit charge 2 I had for 2 years. I have a very consistent workout/intensity each week. Generally, I "thought" I was burning roughly 2400 calories a day and eating against that  at about 500 calorie deficit daily.  I measured/weighed everything I ate. However I was NOT losing any weight until I made a bigger deficit.

Now am also beginning to speculate that the Fitbit was way too generous. Galaxy shows that I burn roughly 1800 calories on a typical day and it all makes perfect sense. I was never eating at a deficit when going by my fitbit!! 

Here is a a clip  from the Today show I just found indicating that Fitbit over estimated calories burned compared to a true medical calorie measuring device. 

https://youtu.be/lRoqhf7kIKI

As much as I want to believe Fitbit was right, it was too good to be true. I personally rather have a device that under measures, than over. It will help me reach my goals better.

Our "Cutting the Fat TODAY" series continues with a Rossen Reports investigation putting popular fitness-tracking apps and devices to the test. TODAY nationa...
Highlighted
usertT2LfrRQrK
Astronaut

My experience was the opposite.  I had a Fitbit Versa, and over a full year of activity tracking and meticulous food tracking, I found its daily calorie burn number to be very accurate, like within 100-150/day. 

By contrast my Active 2 is just plain laughable.  Like, fall-out-of-my-chair ridiculous.  It's showing under my actual burn by 1000-1500 calories/day.  It assumes I'm either sitting still, or walking slowly. 

The heartbeat accuracy is another matter; it'll show me at ~100 sitting in my chair but taking my pulse with my fingers and a stopwatch I'm closer to 50 (my known and medically-verified resting pulse). 

I really like the rest of the features on this thing and the calorie tracking isn't that important to me any more... I'm just surprised they've bungled this part so bad given how well the rest of it works.

user1zKTpz9iSB
Constellation

I very recently - as in 5 days ago recently, purchased the new Samsung Active Galaxy Watch. Overjoyed by the prospect of so many wonderful features, it was a couple days in that I started to really pay close attention to its failings. 

1. I'm having to charge the watch over night every night - so therefore my sleep feature is rendered useless because it's battery life is so poor it sits on my night stand chanrging instead. 

2. I have an apple iPhone so yes, some of the features won't work. Alas, I downloaded the samsung active app anyway and connected my watch to it. It worked for a couple of hours and then disconnected from my phone and will not connect back at all. The pairing option I was presented with initially will not appear at all. 

3. It will be about 15 minutes into vigourous exercising before the watch detects I'm exercising. 

4. I selected 'cycling' today as my workout. I just completed a 55 minute cycle class, where my heart rate was above 160 the entire time. I was pouring with sweat and my heart rate was reaching 180-190. I select finish on the watch and in the brief, it tells me I burned 47 calories only. WHAT?? 47 CALORIES?? Is that a joke? 

NOW I am sitting on the website, apparently connected to a samsung representative on the help assist chat and they aren't replying at all to my messages.

I don't know why I strayed from Apple. I made a HUGE mistake!!

userTSyF14JYm7
Astronaut

Same issue! After a 45 minute spin class, 9 miles it showed that I only burned 40 cals! Yesterday I did a light leg day and while i was sitting doing absolutely nothing my calories burned kept increasing by the second! I reached out to Samsung and they told me this was not a known issue and told me to reset my watch which I just bought 2 days ago. Will be returning!

userJppadJSgAe
Constellation

My problem is just the opposite to your number 4. I eBiked to my work for about 30 minutes (very very light effort) and it says I burned over 300 kcal's Smiley Very Happy

userAR4M80nJWq
Constellation

I'm having calorie burn issues with my galaxy watch also. It seems that my galaxy watch does not accurately calculate calories. We all know that the calorie burn calculated via the watch is just an estimate however it seems that the Samsung watch either grossly underestimates or grossly over estimates calories burned. I'm a very active individual and I work out intensely on a daily basis. I'm 5'9, 200lbs. I did an elliptical workout at 5 mph, on resistance level 12, for 30 minutes with an average heart rate of 160 during the excercise and barely burned 300 calories. The machine calculated that I burned over 600 calories and my Fitbit used to calculate a little over 500 calories when I worked out at the same intensity. When I use the stair climber, on level 12, for 30 minutes averaging the same heart rate, I barely burn 200 calories. We all know the stair climber is a very intense workout. However, if I sit in the sauna and do some light workouts for 30 minutes, averaging a heart rate of 120, I burn almost the same amount of calories as my intense stairclimber workout. It seems like the watch is not accurately incorporating the intensity of the workout via heart rate zones. This should be a simple fix, however this has been on going for years now and it seems that Samsung doesn't care to fix it. I like my galaxy watch but it's unreliable when it comes to accurately estimating the calorie burn of workouts which is important to me.

userdPCNhobtZP
Constellation

Is there any resolution to this yet?

The Galaxy Watch seems to show about half the burned calories compared to my Garmin during a workout.  They just need to change the algorithm to incorporate HR - can't be that hard.....

usernbVYOVkmnl
Constellation

My galaxy watch active says I burn 218 calories in 30 min EVERY SINGLE TIME no matter what workout I'm doing. I've tested it to see if it changes and no matter how high or low intensity the workout is it's always 218 calories burned in 30 min and 436 in an hour it's kind of annoying

user6zqEw4Krjo
Constellation

I have exactly same problem. I'm facing stupid problems with every Samsung products. I'm planning to buy S20 Ultra but God knows what problems will come to me. I no longer want to buy a Samsung product. 

imagine guys, you are buying watch to use while doing sports, but it measures the calories you burn wrong. like a joke.  Whatever I do, I burn the same calories every day at the same time.