JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 08-31-2018 09:03 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Watch

We are sorry to hear about this. Please try the following steps to see if the issue clears up:

1. From the Apps screen, touch Samsung Health.
  1. Rotate the bezel to and touch Settings.
  1. Touch Workout detection.
  1. Touch the switch to turn Off the Elliptical trainer and Rowing machine. (The icon will turn gray when the function is turned off.)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for your reply. But it still doesn't work!!! No steps recorded at all.

userWtpN4DTLEp
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

My watch was working fine until yesterday now stopped recording steps. Have tried the so called solution, like everyone else, and IT DOESNT WORK! After 2 yrs of complaints about this issue I would have thought samsung would have sorted it. 

user4iRsGc5gnb
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Having same problem, intermittent counting of steps, advice does not work, going to have to send it back and use the S3 Frontier that never had this problem?

user0ifuh2QC6O
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Will Samsung eventually come out with an update to fix the inacurrate pedometer?  At the end of the day, there is 1000 difference in steps with my trusty pedometer compared with the Galaxy Watch Rose Gold.  I was wondering if it would be smart to hold on to the watch and wait for the eventual update, or return to Best Buy before the 14 day return policy.  Really like the watch and am sad that the sensors do not meet minimal standards

userAVX8ydUk2q
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Return it before the 14 days. Samsung will not refund taxes. You will only get purchase price.

userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am being told that there is no ETA on when this will be fixed.  It could be 2 weeks, it could be 6 months, it could be longer.  If you want a reliable step counter then I suggest not holding onto this in hopes of a fix because the answer is that Samsung simply has no idea.  Return the watch for a refund and find another model.  That's what I am going to do.  It's a shame because I liked the other features it offered.

usere9iAdHGWu1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

A customer support rep in th UK has confirmed that the watch doesn't start counting after you've taken a few steps:

"When you start to measure  your step, the step tracker monitors your steps and displays your step account after a brief delay because your Galaxy Watch accurately recognizes your movement after you walk for a while. Also, for an accurate step count, you may experience a brief delay before the pop-up window indicates that a certain goal has been reached."

So, apart from an understandable delay on the display, the watch doesn't intentionally recognise short walks and dismisses them.

If this is actually the case it's probably a software issue and Samsung's algorithm is not up to the task, but I can't see a fix coming soon. They seem to be quite happy with the way they've done it.

userg5ga5xkP82
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@usere9iAdHGWu1 wrote:

A customer support rep in th UK has confirmed that the watch doesn't start counting after you've taken a few steps:

"When you start to measure  your step, the step tracker monitors your steps and displays your step account after a brief delay because your Galaxy Watch accurately recognizes your movement after you walk for a while. Also, for an accurate step count, you may experience a brief delay before the pop-up window indicates that a certain goal has been reached."

So, apart from an understandable delay on the display, the watch doesn't intentionally recognise short walks and dismisses them.

If this is actually the case it's probably a software issue and Samsung's algorithm is not up to the task, but I can't see a fix coming soon. They seem to be quite happy with the way they've done it.

yeah most of us already figured that. But there is more than this "annoyance". The watch is just not reliable. I do the same run over and over using different smartwatches and this one (Galaxy Watch) always gave me 10-20 % less steps than my current cheap Amazfit Bip, 2 different Fitbits and one Garmin.