JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 10-27-2018 08:46 AM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
usere9iAdHGWu1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userg5ga5xkP82 wrote:

@usere9iAdHGWu1 wrote:

A customer support rep in th UK has confirmed that the watch doesn't start counting after you've taken a few steps:

"When you start to measure  your step, the step tracker monitors your steps and displays your step account after a brief delay because your Galaxy Watch accurately recognizes your movement after you walk for a while. Also, for an accurate step count, you may experience a brief delay before the pop-up window indicates that a certain goal has been reached."

So, apart from an understandable delay on the display, the watch doesn't intentionally recognise short walks and dismisses them.

If this is actually the case it's probably a software issue and Samsung's algorithm is not up to the task, but I can't see a fix coming soon. They seem to be quite happy with the way they've done it.

yeah most of us already figured that. But there is more than this "annoyance". The watch is just not reliable. I do the same run over and over using different smartwatches and this one (Galaxy Watch) always gave me 10-20 % less steps than my current cheap Amazfit Bip, 2 different Fitbits and one Garmin.

<edit>

So, I can picture their huge team of developers just saying: Why should we develop a reliable algorithm to count steps more accurately in order to discard random hand movements when we can just dismiss the first 15-20 steps?

userkN3gX3WZgT
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Samsung updated their Gear Plug-in, but that's all I've seen. The weird part is, my 42mm has started counting really close to what my cellphone tracks. The Galaxy's step count is slightly higher because it's worn all the time, except for charging. Has anyoe else seen an improvement? 

Galaxy Watch= 2627 steps

Cellphone=        2485 steps.

Three days ago the difference would have been a 10-20 percent deficit in the watch's count. Now, it seems to be working. I wonder if there's a mechanical issue that "fixed" itself, as I haven't done any experiments or other tinkering with the software or watch. That's very unlikely, but better than what I had.

Just tried it again and this time the watch buffered the first steps and then kept counting even with brief pauses in movement.

I don't know what to think. How many of the total buyers of Galaxy Watch have samples that perform flawlessly? I wish they'd get on the forum, as everyone here has a problem with their watch. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

Very happy that your watch is working! Mine is still not ..

0 Likes
userB9ncHNDrnj
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Active 2 does not give an accurate step count either.  It is always way over or way under.  On a treadmill, it was 1/10 of a mile off, too low.  But if I'm standing at the stove cooking, it gives me a few hundred steps for standing and stirring a pot of pasta sauce! Sheesh!

MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

I recommend that you call in and talk to our Health department 1-855-795-0509

0 Likes
userbz3mCsJpU4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I play a lot of tennis, probably at least five days a week for at least 1.5 hours each day. Any tennis player knows that there's a lot of stop and go involved in the game. As a result, many of my steps are not counted. I keep waiting for a fix, as my steps are way undercounted compared to my Gear Fit2 Pro.

Come on Samsung. Please correct this prolem ASAP. 

uservYKuuV5DTo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just purchased an LTE version from Verizon yesterday. 42mm black. Same problem. In the last couple hours my phone has recorded 700 steps. My watch 142. I've walked a whole lot more with my watch than with my phone. For now I have removed step count from my watch face... in order to keep my stress meter down haha. But this is very sad that samsung cannot correct the problem almost 2 months later. 

usere9iAdHGWu1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

They are denying there is a problem. 

It is working the way it's been programmed. They've done a horrible job with the step counter.

I would imagine they'll fix it eventually, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Birdymom
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

My watch is in for the second time.   They replaced the motion sensor, a motherboard and updated the software twice.  Today they emailed us that the parts are back ordered and would let us know when they come in.  So are they throwing everything at the problem and hoping something works resulting in back ordered parts?  People shouldn't buy this watch.  I am using my Gear S2 and my Neos as backup.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

We would love to know your outcome. Please keep us updated. Thank you.

0 Likes