JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 12-05-2018 10:34 AM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
Marumbas
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Gear fit 2 have some issues too. Comparing with samsung smartphones they showing less steps.

0 Likes
userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Don't expect a fix for this.  Here's their answer.

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We kindly inform you that we have received an answer from the department in charge of the Samsung Gear.

When you are watching the galaxy watch's screen while walking, the steps might not be recognized all if the you didn't walk continously (For example, 10 step, rest or stop, 20 steps, rest or stop, 30 steps, rest or stop -> you could think that it's 60 steps)

The Galaxy Watch requests to walk more than 15 steps to recognize it.
It is the condition of initial continous steps.

The gear device(galaxy watch) and the mobile phone use different algorithm to detect steps. Because wearable pedometer is carried on the user's wrist.

If there is no condition of initial continous steps, Wearable pedometer can report many false steps from unexpected various hand or arm motion.

Wearable pedometer has various advanced false step rejection filters.

But it couldn't recognize the small steps.

So the mobile phone's counted steps and the gear device(galaxy watch)'s counted steps couldn't be same thing.

If you encounter any other unexpected situation and have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us and our support team will assist you with all the necessary information.

Also, if you visit the Content & Services Customer Support Website, http://help.content.samsung.com, you will be able to find all Samsung Content and Services we support in your country.

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

Sounds like the old "it's a feature, not a bug" marketing garbage. Speaking of garbage, guess this trash will continue to waste away in a drawer until something better from a competitor comes along.

Options
Galaxy Watch

This answer is unacceptable!!! That's it! I am looking into a false advertising suit. Because if I am walking around the house all day and barely get 170 steps this is unacceptable! The watch was $350!!! How can Samsung even give such an answer!?

Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm so happy I sent mine back. I have been telling everyone how rubbish it is so hopefully no one else gets ripped off. Just because they are small steps, or fewer than 15 steps, the galaxy watch shouldn't just disregard them. We've still walked those steps. Therefore, Samsung are admitting that their galaxy watch is giving inaccurate readings. So what's the point in the watch if it doesn't count all steps? This is nothing but a smart watch.

SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

The pedometer and heart rate sensor may not work properly on some watches with a specific software version. The issue will be resolved by a software update. For a temporary solution, reboot the watch when the problem is detected, and then disable the Elliptical trainer and Rowing machine setting. (The menu options may vary by the watch.)

0 Likes
Rob K
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Resolved when? What's the ETA for the update? Since there seems to be some sense as to the cause of the problem, there should be some update on the update (pun intended).

Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for the first real answer I got from Samsung. What specific software version is it? How can I check if my watch does not have a hardware issue?

Thank you.

0 Likes
ChrisPP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

So, even the brand new flagship watch has this issue, bit embarrassing...

BTW, myself and many others have the Frontier edition and have suffered with this issue since a Tizen 'upgrade' a few weeks back, all I keep hearing is it will be fixed in a software update, I have pretty much given up. None of the frankly ludicrous temporary  fixes suggested by the mod in here work, I have heard of many having to return their watch for a new board because of this issue so don't hold your breath expecting a software update to fix this.

Of course, I'll be happy if I'm wrong...

785_kgoodness
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I finally returned mine and they said it was a faulty board?  I hope it fixes it.  Ill keep you informed.