JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 08-15-2019 04:17 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
userrbq4rxIzG1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This is not a fix!! 

Should not have to turn other features off to get the step counter to work! 

Come on samsung! Just fix it with a software update already! 

Almost feels like you don't care about your customer base

userleVUhWeB2u
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Didn`t work only had the watch a few days and initially it worked now nothing. Come on Samsung i can see now your aware of the issue and that this is not fit for purpose

userSOiltCfxbP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

If your step count is too low it is worth trying using a plain watch face without a step counter shown.  Worked for me on my Galaxy Active.

uservKfJHOd5up
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This has nothing to do with my galaxy watch. 

When I follow your directions, I see only workout detection. Nothing about an elliptical.  Why would I turn off workout detection if I want the phone to count my steps?

user8P2DWaWwHf
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

My watch is less than a month old.  I have loved everything about it but the last few days have noticed the step counts seem really low.  Today put on my pedometer at the same time I put on my watch, then went out and walked and ran errands.  Three times while I was out, I compared the numbers and at the first stop, the watch was already down by 1,655 steps.  Now, at the end of the day, it's 2,800 down from the pedometer's count.  I tried the "fix" then walked throughout my apartment back & forth, and got 115 steps on my pedometer and 43 on my watch.  The fix clearly is NOT a fix.  How can Samsung let this issue go on for so long, judging from all of the complaints I've been reading?  So disappointed as I'm strictly a Samsung person, but maybe need to rethink that now since they won't address this.

userTGwFsMkWyX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Didn't work for me either. Mine seems to have started after going swimming. Not only steps, but the face doesnt auto light up when I look at it either. Seems like the watch no longer detects movement. I've reset following trying to expel water multiple times just in case that was the cause somehow.

usersP2SFpZNrv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi folks, reading all the feedback this still hasn't been solved. Before i return the watch can you confirm there has been a fix for this? I have no probs with my S3 Frontier but the Samsung Fit 2 stopped counting steps a few months ago and all the resets etc haven't fixed it. The rest of the watch works fine and it seems a shame to return it just for what appears to be a software issue? I note that after a reset i need to update the Health Apps (last update 2018) but that it freezes at the end of the installation process (ie after downloading the update to my phone, transferring to watch, then 'installing' it can't complete the process) which must be where the issue lies.

@Anonymous wrote:

We are sorry to hear about this. Please try the following steps to see if the issue clears up:

1. From the Apps screen, touch Samsung Health.
  1. Rotate the bezel to and touch Settings.
  1. Touch Workout detection.
  1. Touch the switch to turn Off the Elliptical trainer and Rowing machine. (The icon will turn gray when the function is turned off.)

usersP2SFpZNrv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

no joy.

this is a Gear Fit 2 but I found settings and workout detection and turned off Elliptical trainer and Rowing Machine. Still not counting steps or floors. Strangely it does count calories.

Any other ideas?

usersP2SFpZNrv
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

also - as this is a common known issue can you advise whether it is a software fault and whether there is a known fix for it? Just need to understand whether this can be fixed remotely with an update or is it actually a faulty product that needs to be returned. Thnx

0 Likes
userhy62Z5bwPU
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

The marked solution is NOT a solution or a workaround. Way too many reports of this not fixing the issue as with mine.  What is the official word from Samsumg regarding a real fix???

0 Likes