Original topic:

New Idea For On-Wrist Charging

(Topic created: 06-05-2021 09:07 AM)
Mharratsc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Attn: Smartwatch Engineering/R & D Team

Re:  Economical and easy to implement feature to allow on-wrist charging via cable

Concern:  Many people, myself included, would rather not have to take our watches off to charge them.

Solution:  Design the next-gen smartwatch with a magnetic charging contact on the side of the watch case to allow use of a magnetic charging cable while the phone is still being worn.

Use of a magnetic charging cable has several benefits:

-  Convenient on-wrist charging for the many consumers who do not want to break health monitoring routines by having to remove watches to recharge them

-  Magnetic contact on watch case would be durable and waterproof

-  Economical: charging contact could be proprietary in design or use currently available magnetic charging contacts & cables that are already on the market, and be much cheaper than some of the in-band or in-bezel wireless charging ideas that are currently being patented

-  Charging via USB-A to magnetic 2-pin USB-C type connector (in the watch case of course) would allow for charging while consumers work/play on their computers, recharge via a multitude of currently available USB-A power banks, or simply via USB-A chargers connected to power outlets while people work, relax, drive, or even sleep.

I'm sure there are even more reasons why implementing this feature in future Samsung phones would capture a lion's-share of smartwatch sales in any year that this idea is implemented. I would ask that Samsung please seriously consider researching and eventually developing this feature into the Galaxy 5 watch when it eventually comes out.

Oh, and if the Samsung Corporation has a heart, please consider sending me one of them when they finally get through production? Especially an LTE model I can use on the T-Mobile network?

It would be a wonderful and most appreciated way of saying "Thanks for the idea!"  😃

Mike H.

2 Replies
ElWormo
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
I absolutely love this idea.
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.