JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Restore to a GW4 from a GW3

(Topic created: 08-29-2021 12:17 PM)
oeagleo
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Okay, here's a "point to ponder". If I have a GW3, and it's set up the way I want, and have a valid, current backup on the Samsung cloud, what happens if I purchase a GW4, and try to restore? Anyone have any ideas?

4 Replies
Rose4uKY
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

I want to know the same and how it's going to work. I wondered about my settings and watch faces and I paid for a couple I think. I just asked this question in a comment on another post to a Samsung person to see if they knew.

0 Likes
Solution
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy Watch

Here is a link to steps on restoring a backup to the watches: https://www.samsung.com/ph/support/mobile-devices/back-up-and-restore-data-on-samsung-galaxy-watch/

As far as what happens should Samsung Cloud be no more entirely; once the service would be completely gone/done away with, any and all associated data would be wiped from that cloud as it would no longer exist. At that time the information would need to have been moved to a new cloud service or backed up to an alternate method before attempting a restore. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Rose4uKY
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks! I read we will still use wearable app but I also thought someone said we would need Wear OS app so I was confused. I know how to back up and restore on watches now just wasn't sure on the new watch. I have like 25 watch faces now.

0 Likes
Samsung_Jbw
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have gone through the Restore and there is almost NO compatibility that will transfer. No watch faces, Apps, Msgs, widgets or quick settings. Basically you Will start New with only watch faces supplied by Samsung!!! This was NOT disclosed in there sales pitch or presentations. They evidentially did not want to discourage sales, go figure. So far most watch faces (I have over 50) Will Not be compatible from the Galaxy Store to the new GW4. You will have to hunt and peck for anything slightly the same and if you find something it will cost you Again. The Tizen developers just have not gotten on board with the new Wear OS 3. I found a few from Matteo Dini but even those do not have all the features that Tizen supports! This is currently very sad situation but true. The Play Store is very intimidating searching for watch faces...

0 Likes