cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruddahChrispy
Asteroid

S Health Keeps Stopping

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I noticed that my watch is no longer reading my heart rate (last reading was 3 days ago).  Upon further investigation I discovered that it is also not counting steps or floors (it had been last week).  I searched through these forums and found all kinds of fun things to try (and try them I did):

• Switched to a watch face which does not include health stats.
  • Performed numerous reboots.
  • Ran the Expel-water-with-the-power-of-sound app. (Does this actually work?)
  • Verified that all apps were up to date
    • The alarm app was not, but keeps failing when I try to update it and I can't uninstall it.
  • Did a full reset
    • Side note, this disconnected my T-Mobile LTE service and forced me to sign up for a whole new data plan to get it back (Fortunately I'm an employee and was able to straighten *that* out, but really?)
  • Disabled Alti-Barometer app.
  • Attempted to disable workout detection for elliptical, power lifting, dog-walking, frisbee, and anything that isn't walking or cycling.
    • Every time I attempt to get to the settings menu I am kicked back to the watch face.  Not always at the same point, once I got as far as seeing the elliptical option (it was already off), often I got kicked out just trying to get to the settings under S Health.
  • Attempted to measure my heartrate using the 'Measure' button.
    • App sometimes starts to read the heartrate, sometimes it doesn't.  It always kicks me out of the app.

Bottom line - S Health is not functioning properly and seems to keep resetting.

Editorial note: I've only been programming computers professionally for 42 years so I may be off-base here; but you seem to have what we used to call in the business "a bug".  Back in the day we didn't release software into the marketplace if it had bugs, but that may just be a matter of pride and of no consequence in today's world.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BruddahChrispy
Asteroid

Re: S Health Keeps Stopping

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In a fit of pique, I removed the wearable app entirely from my phone (Galaxy 8) as well as the Watch plugin.

Later I reloaded the app and went through the steps to pair the phone from scratch.  It found my phone and reloaded all of my settings and now S Health seems to be working.

Unfortunately there are now a number of pending updates.  I'm not sure that I should update them since they may very well be what caused the problems.

I may update them one at a time and wait a day or so between each update.  If push comes to shove I can always remove the wearable app again.  However given that their software appears to be non-deterministic that might not fix it next time.

I would like to thank Samsung for confirming my belief that Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand of the Marketplace" is only making use of one finger.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BruddahChrispy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My mistake - it was the Reminder app, not the Alarm, that wants to be updated.

FWIW - The Reminder app update seems to be failing for *everyone*.  Given how twitchy Tizen/Samsung software seems to be about pending updates (my battery life went down to about 4 hours when I had pending updates last month) this could be the cause of some problems.

At the very least, Samsung, take a little bit of pride in your work!  You can see from all of the reviews that the update is not working; pull it!  Did you actually drop this code out on the net and then not monitor its acceptance?

BruddahChrispy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In a fit of pique, I removed the wearable app entirely from my phone (Galaxy 8) as well as the Watch plugin.

Later I reloaded the app and went through the steps to pair the phone from scratch.  It found my phone and reloaded all of my settings and now S Health seems to be working.

Unfortunately there are now a number of pending updates.  I'm not sure that I should update them since they may very well be what caused the problems.

I may update them one at a time and wait a day or so between each update.  If push comes to shove I can always remove the wearable app again.  However given that their software appears to be non-deterministic that might not fix it next time.

I would like to thank Samsung for confirming my belief that Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand of the Marketplace" is only making use of one finger.

View solution in original post