cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch becomes slow/unresponsive when enabling data roaming

I have the same problem with my Galaxy Watch 42mm. Also got Telenor

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch becomes slow/unresponsive when enabling data roaming

@TMyr wrote:

Today on the 6th of March I got my mobile operator's subscription on my galaxy watch active 2 set up (twin esim with normal sim). To my surprise, after a little automatic reboot of the phone and seeing the cellular network icon appearing at the top, things started to become weird. 

The phone became almost completely unresponsive and two manual reboots did not make it any better. What made it work again was for me to completely disable mobile data & dataroaming and do a manual reboot.

Before I activated it, everything ran perfectly smooth and no issue with lag or unresponsivenes of any sort with bluetooth & wifi + apps + custom watchface. Smiley Happy

I tried to make sure it was the cellular network and not something else:

etc. Info:

Watch:
Galaxy Watch Active 2, 44mm

Mobile network operator:

Telenor (Norway)

Subscription:

Telenor Yng 4GB with twin esim on the watch

Firmware:

Latest firmware. (According to phone, even after refreshing)

App updates:

All apps has been updated. (According to phone, even after refreshing)

When does it not lag:

turn off phone and then on again and enable just bluetooth. (No lag)
turn off phone and then on again and enable just Wi-fi. (No lag)
turn off phone and then on again and enable both bluetooth and Wi-fi. (No lag)

When does it lag:

- turn off phone and then on again and enable just mobile data. (lags)
- turn off phone and then on again and enable just dataroaming. (lags)

- Remove widgets  while mobile data & dataroaming is on. (lags)
- Close any open apps while while mobile data & dataroaming is on. (lags)

- Enable flightmode to turn of mobile data & dataroaming. (lags)
- Disable mobile data & dataroaming through Menu -> Connections - Mobilenetwork -> Always off. (lags)

- Changing to the standard watchface while mobile data & dataroaming is on. (lags)

What happens when it lags:

- Physical buttons can become unresponsive or VERY slow.
- Interface buttons can become unresponsive or VERY slow.
- Swiping left and right can become unrespsonsive or VERY slow.
- Double tapping or rotating the watchface towards me to turn on the screen can take a long while to make it open, or it doesn't make the screen turn on at all.

Temporarely solution:

- Only way to get rid of the lag is to turn off dataroaming & mobile data and then do a manual reboot of the watch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if this is perhaps an issue with the software from the mobile network operator?

Is there a fix to this issue?

This is normal, but it shouldn't take more than a split second to update If it's slow at updating the time you could try rebooting and see if that helps.

Asteroid

Hello again!

Here comes a little follow-up from my last post. As I said I would do, I contacted Telenor support to check if they could look into their implementation of eSim, and do some testing on the integration with Samsung Galaxy Watch 2. To make a long story short, I was relegated between different support services until I gave up. So, Telenor support is useless, as expected.

But somewhere along the way something happend with my watch, everything miraculously worket totally smoothly. When on 4G and the watch in standalone mode, no lag or other problems. I was able to track my training, and make calls at the same time, without any delay in the menus or navigation on the watch. Also I was quite impressed with lower battery drain than expected when the watch was quite heavely used in standalone mode. 

As far as I know, no updates on the Samsung side has been done since march, so updates should not be the reason for the improved performance of watch. It might be that Telenor has done som work, or I might just be very lucky since it all works now.

My first question to you all here is, do you still have problems? The reason I ask, is that as far as I can see, I have only done one thing with my watch that might have affected anyting. I put the watch in developer mode and enabled debugging since I wantet to do some programming with the Tizen studio and use my watch as debug device.

I have no clue if this has affected the particular problem described in this thread, and it probably shouldn't. But the watch started to behave normally around that time that I did this change on my watch. The full descripton on how to enable debug and developer options on watch is easily found with a simple google search if any of you wants to check it out.

I do not want to verify this workaround by factory reset and repeat since I am afraid to mess things up again.

So, if you still haven't got the standalone mode to work, you could try the developer and debug mode workaround (if that is what it is) for fun.

Regards

Øyvind

Highlighted
Asteroid

I also have Telenor. It doesn't help to turn on the developer and debug mode, my Active 2 is still slow.

The watch is fast and responsive when the fly mode is on, so this has something to do with the eSim implementation by Telenor.  I haven't connect the watch to PC via Tizen Studio yet, maybe this is the next step to try. Glad that it works out for you Øyvind, gives me a little bit of hope Smiley Happy

Regards

Luc

Highlighted
Astronaut

I also have the exact same problem as already mentioned. The watch is totally useless when I go outside and enable 4G. Nothing works. I too am using Telenor. I will return my watch if this is not fixed within a short amount of time.  

Highlighted
Constellation

Having the exact problem mentioned above . My clock was sent to service and they replaced the mainboard. When I received the clock yesterday, the problem persists. 

I've called Telenor and Samsung several times, both claim there is nothing wrong at they're end... Guess I have rerun my watch at the store and get my money back. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have tested the watch with Telia 4G and it works!

I have brought the information to Telenor support and hope that they do something to fix the problem.

Highlighted
Asteroid

My problem with the watch and Telenor re-appeared after reboot. The communication with Telenor support was like banging my head in a brick wall, so I gave up. 

Anyhow, I have now changed subscription, and it will be activated tomorrow. I will post my experiences with this as soon as I have tested for some days.

The solution here seems to switch subscription from Telenor to another provider, which is totally fine since Telenor is grossly overpriced. And when they show no interest in fixing the problem, we should exercise some consumer power, and leave Telenor.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Haha, I really resonate with that brick wall metaphor. Getting some good old customer serivce from them has been one of the most frustrating activites in a long time. 

But I got an SMS message* from Telenor the 28th of May out of the blue, where they apologized and claimed that they together with Samsung is working on localizing the problem and will notify me as soon they have figured this out. 

So still some hope. I'll probably wait another month, and if no progress is made, I'll just have to change my provider as well.