Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 doesn't record GPS data for most outdoor activities

(Topic created: 10-30-2021 04:42 PM)
WindRider
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just got the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 to replace my dead Garmin Forerunner 235 watch.  I tried using the Windsurfing activity in Samsung Health and found out quite disappointingly that it didn't record any GPS data.

I then learned that only the following Samsung Health outdoor activities record GPS data:
  • walking
  • hiking
  • running
  • cycling
  • swimming (outdoor)
The following Samsung Health outdoor activities do not record GPS data:
  • windsurfing
  • cross-country skiing
  • skiing
  • snowboarding
  • snowshoeing
  • mountain biking
  • orienteering
  • canoeing
  • sailing
  • kayaking
  • kitesurfing
  • rafting
  • yachting
I tried using the cycling activity to record a test session and found out that Samsung Health doesn't allow activity type changes afterwards.  That is seriously bad design!   Both Garmin Connect and Strava allow activity type changes after recording.

I'm thinking of using the Strava app on the watch at this point, recording the session as a bike ride, and changing it to windsurfing on Strava.  I'm not sure I want to buy into the Strava system for windsurfing though at $60/year.  Garmin Connect gave me a full analysis for free.

Is there a good solution for this such that it records outdoor activities (windsurfing, skiiing, etc.) with GPS data properly in Samsung Health or are we stuck using Strava and other third party solutions?
5 Replies
user6a1i6TNG8I
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Exact same problem for me. I think next time, I will launch an outdoor swimming activity and then modify the activity type in Strava (as I set up Samsung health to directly sync with Strava). But we shouldn't have to do that.

WindRider
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Right now I am looking to try Google Fit instead of Samsung Health. It allows GPS recording of these kinds of outdoor activities. Really sad that Samsung Health failed badly in this area!
0 Likes
user71CioiYduL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just noticed the same stuff while testing the orienteering mode. This doesn't make sense as it is the main purpose of this activity and analyse the path afterwards seem essential.

This is indeed quite disappointing and I hope it will be improved soon.

Mattias_Sweden
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I wonder if Samsung is interested in changing this. I have read a lot of complains but Samsung doesn't seem to do anything about it.

One of the primarily reason for me to buy a Galaxy Watch4 was to use it to track my windsurfing and kitesurfing and give me the oppurtunity to call for help if needed.

Why not add a setting to enable/disable gps for the activities?

.....and offcourse also:

- make it possible to change activity type afterwards

- edit/cut/shrink an activity if you have forgotten to stop it

- and a dream scenario would be if Samsung developed fuctionalities as on real windsurfing watches such as fastest 2-seconds, fastest 30-seconds, etc. for the activities windsurfing and kitesurfing.

WindRider
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have decided that the Samsung Watch 4 and Samsung Health are no good for real world fitness tracking for our other sports.  Samsung doesn’t seem to care about listening to our feedback and fixing this so I will probably be buying another Garmin watch for my outdoor sports tracking. Clearly their designers don’t know anything about adventure sports.

0 Likes