Original topic:

Samsung Pay (Back) button mapping

(Topic created: 03-29-2024 11:19 AM)
HiveGuardian
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have a problem with Samsung Pay being mapped to the (Back) button.

I wear gloves at work and will accidentally activate Samsung Pay anytime I flex my wrist back without knowing and it will drain my battery over 70% in less than 12 hours. I need to remove this mapping and make it only a (Back) button so this doesn't happen.

I've contacted support multiple times and searched the Internet but I keep getting told to remap the (Home) button... Which is obviously incorrect or that it must be defective and I should send it in for repairs but it isn't broken... It's just bad programming to force features that users don't always want.

I have seen threads of using different apps to overwrite the programming but I don't have a PC to do this so it's not a viable option for me.

Samsung support has had me erase a couple of things like a Samsung plug-in on my phone which has technically removed Samsung Pay from my watch, but now when I accidentally hit that button it will tell me to Install Samsung Pay to use those features.

So I need a way to remove any option for the (Back) button that isn't the (Back) function.
21 Replies
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
unless you use Samsung Wallet from your watch, disable it. I wear gloves, too, except I don't when I'm at a C-store. then, I pull my phone out and pay. (just a suggestion)
0 Likes
HiveGuardian
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ok... That's what I'm asking HOW to do it. I don't have Samsung Wallet/Pay on my watch but the BACK button still triggers it. The screen will say that I need to INSTALL Samsung Pay to use that feature. The program isn't there but the shortcut/mapping of it remains
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
open the Wear app > watch settings > advanced features > look at the presets (mapping} for your Home and Back buttons
0 Likes
HiveGuardian
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
As I stated, mapping only works on the HOME key. The BACK button only has a SHORT press which serves as a back button and LONG press activates Samsung Pay with no option to change even if it is not installed on the device
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
what watch do you have? based on the info in your initial post, I'm wondering if it's running on Tizen instead of Wear OS. in my experience, the only thing I've ever accidentally launched from the watch while working is Bixby. I assumed Pay might be one of the presets for the Home or Back buttons. I was incorrect. have you reset the watch in an attempt to fix this?
0 Likes
HiveGuardian
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's a 6 Classic. I have called support prob at least 10 times (2 if which was with somebody who wasn't reading a script). I also sent it in for something else and they swapped the whole watch face.

It'd prob be easier for everyone if I explained the mapping available...

HOME Button:
Short-Home action
Long -Bixby or Google Assistant, Double-Anything I want

BACK Button:
Short-BACK
Double-No options
Long-Samsung Pay (Not available for remapping)
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

You might try this.  Go to Wear App/watch settings/general/orientation.  If it's not too awkward, you can set the buttons to be on the left side of the watch.  You would have to reach around to do your watch functions, but at least you won't be setting things off accidentally.  Since you can switch it back and forth, you can always switch it when you get to work and back when you get home.  It would also require you to put your watch on "upside down.  The orientation of the screen will change with the orientation of the buttons.

0 Likes
HiveGuardian
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's an idea... Just one that I find a bit ridiculous to have to do.

I feel like it should be attainable since I spoke with a couple techs and Samsung, but the only ones that seemed to have an idea about this always mysteriously would end the call somehow.

I just really don't want to go but a laptop to run commands and have it potentially mess up my watch and void its warranty
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

Switching the orientation should do nothing to void your warranty. And yes, it is a ridiculous manipulation to have to go through. At the very least, they should give the ability to temporarily inactivate the button or disable S pay completely. If you don't like the orientation switch (who knows, you might get used to it), you might also try putting your watch on water lock for the duration of your active glove wearing, however, that will also impede your ability to do any functions, like dismiss notifications. Not a problem if you only need it to function as a watch. All the activity sensors will still work.

The fact of the matter is the watch's design was meant for the majority of people who do not wear work gloves while wearing the watch. Personally, I feel a better design would be to put the buttons on the top of the watch. I think they would be out if the way, yet easier to manipulate while on your wrist.

Another idea would be to put a pin on the watch. That way if S pay is accidentally activated, it will go nowhere, since you need to enter the pin a second time to enter Pay, even if Pay is not set up.

0 Likes