Original topic:

Samsung Pay watch update no longer requiring double pin verification

(Topic created: 04-04-2024 08:45 AM)
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

So, yesterday I got an update to Samsung Pay on my watch and I see that got rid or everyone's favorite annoyance - the double pin.  I think they got rid of the wrong pin, but I can live with it.

It was ridiculous that you had to secure your whole watch with a pin, and an annoyance to have to enter your pin every morning just to put your watch on and have it function and then have to use your pin again to unlock Samsung Pay when you needed it.  However, it would be much better if they had left me to decide whether I wanted to secure the whole watch or just Samsung Pay.  I think it was much easier in the old days, when you just needed to use a pin to access Samsung Pay.  

With this new update, you only have to unlock your watch when you put it on, and then Samsung Pay is unfettered, no pin needed again to use it.

I assume that the choice to do it this way was because if the whole watch is secured, any current and future secure apps would be unlocked as well after the watch is unlocked.

12 Replies
KnightRiderRalph
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

If i already have my Watch unlocked when its on me, I hate having to put my pin AGAIN just to use Pay when it's supposed to be quick and easy. I haven't seen yet that they got rid of that. I have to check for an update. 

0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I recently got a Samsung Pay update, and now when I go to use it on my Active4 I no longer have to put in my pin. I do get a screen though that says "stay connected to phone" that delays the NFC connection. You have to wait for that to go away before using.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
I got that too. It's just a little patch. It goes right away, so I'm not seeing any delay with the NFC, just in making sure the right card is active, and it's very brief, and only the first time you use it for the day. I usually start S Pay before I'm ready to pay anyway (because of the pin), so it really didn't bother me. Still faster than having to put in the pin.
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm usually helping to bag my groceries, so don't get to the pay screen until the cashier is waiting. Seems like they have to hit EFT a couple times now based on the beeps I'm hearing, while my watch is going from one screen to my chosen card. Then it works like a charm.

CWinkler
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
Still, the lack of the second pin is encouraging I don't know why they have that little half second delay but it's still preferable, and really doesn't slow things down that much. The way I figure it the cashier can wait
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

It is kind of an odd message. I'm guessing that because I just have the BT version, it needs to stay connected to my phone to access data via cellular network for my Samsung Pay cards? Or what do you think the message means?

I agree, it's nice to not have to enter the PIN again

CWinkler
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

No, that wouldn't be it, a) because I used to have an active2 which was BT only and I've used Samsung Pay when I was far away from my phone, and b) because I now have an LTE Watch4 with a mobile plan and have also used S-Pay when not connected to my phone.  I think they are just pranking us now.

realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

I actually can't even imagine what a reason would be for the little "sign", since Samsung Pay watch plug in should work independently of whether you are connected to your phone or not.  It's a whole separate app and would be virtually useless if one needed to stay connected to their phone to use it, especially on LTE models.

Options
Galaxy Watch
When will Samsung allow their Pay app to be used on multiple Galaxy watches concurrently?
0 Likes