Original topic:

Samsung apps running in the background

(Topic created: 10-23-2023 12:13 PM)
JRStewart
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Galaxy Wearable Music, SOS, etc randomly run in the background on Galaxy Watch 4 even when I don't use the apps. I stop them from running in the background and lo and behold, they show up just minutes later running in the background again. This was never an issue before this one UI 5/Wear OS4 update. Samsung please, please fix this ASAP. 

77 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
Does anyone know why Samsung Music and Health Platform is suddenly running in the background of my GW4 classic? This behavior is new. It was not doing this prior to, or during all 5 releases of the 1UI5 Watch Beta this past summer. My wife's GW4 is also experiencing this behavior. It started abruptly as well. In both cases it started ~3 to 4 weeks ago, although not continuously at first. I can kill the process, but one or the other will startup again in about an hour followed by the other process. This just tends to use battery power as we use neither of them.

I have noticed that Samsung Music running in the background is fairly widespread, but I have not heard about Health Platform doing so other than my own experience. 

Is there any accepted solution to this problem?

VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
How much battery are these apps consuming? For me, the media player and Samsung Health app are always running in the background, but are only using around 0.3% battery.
Options
Galaxy Watch
To be fair it is not a lot of power, more less like what you see, but I been on a tear lately regarding background apps that I don't use, but are running. Both watches are LTE, and we don't have plans with a carrier to implement phone lines, but if we change our minds - we can. But, you'd be amazed at what is running in the background, consuming memory and power with no hope of running.

We get ~2 days and 17 hours out of each watch. I think we can get 3 full days plus, but not with all this junk using power that I don't want and don't need. And besides, this is a problem that cropped up after the beta. It was not a problem then. Something in the final release software is triggering it.
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
The Samsung Health app is usually running for tracking purposes (heart rate, etc.). If you're playing media through your phone, the watch will display this in the media controller tile. I think Samsung just made it more apparent at what background processes are running, rather than hiding them.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
No, this is totally new behavior since the beta. I ran the passive aFib detection on it during the beta - no Health Platform. The same was true with Samsung Music - did not run it - never ran in the background during the beta. This behavior started and is getting more frequent since the beta. I'm just at the point I want Samsung to fix it. Watch3 never did this stuff. They need to fix Watch4, 5, and 6.

I wish they could give us BP monitoring like they promised 6 years ago. I know the FDA has not approved it, but I'm sure Samsung knows why and could fix that too. Let's see what they can fix first. Thanks for getting back to me.
0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
I've had BP measurements activated for quite sometime now. Direct message me if you want to find out how to accomplish this. The process works for all Watches 4 and up.

Regarding the background apps, it's not a huge deal for me considering they take up so little power. There is the potential that Samsung will change their visibility in a future software patch based on feedback.
Options
Galaxy Watch
I hear you about the work around for BP. I tried Dante63's workaround for Watch3, but I decided that the FDA didn't approve it for a reason, but Samsung has not addressed it since, and I'd just like to know why. I think they should be able to figure it out after 6 years. Other companies have and the FDA approved them. But, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. Thanks.
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
It hasn't been approved for unknown reasons. This information is normally kept confidential between the parties involved. The hardware is the same for the watches, so clearance shouldn't be an issue. Dante63's modification, as a base, uses the same software found in countries who have the feature available. While it's not meant to be a replacement for a physical blood pressure cuff, it's been working well for me.
Options
Galaxy Watch
Personally, I think the problem may reside in the software. The hardware is fairly straight forward. I recall counting approvals for 4 or 5 companies' products this year/late last year, but we are still waiting. Not a good look, but I think that the new stuff (passive aFib, snore and sleep apnea detection) are distractions while other problems are still being worked on. I have to check mine a couple of times a day and this would be a big convenience as supposedly it is quite accurate as long as it is routinely calibrated, but it would be nice to see it after 6 years. Maybe we will by Watch8, who knows!?
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
I hope that BP monitoring is officially approved sooner than that. 😅 I'm unsure how accurate other watches are with their measurements, but I would hope that it's within a range small enough to actually tell someone when their blood pressure might be hyper/hypotensive.
0 Likes