JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Sensor cover came off on the Galaxy watch line

(Topic created: 10-03-2021 06:35 AM)
userYP50geBk05
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I bought my smartwatch in May 2020. In August 2020 the sensor cover came off. I was able to send it off and have it repaired at no charge.  Today, a month after the warranty expired, I was wiping off the underside of the watch with a damp paper towel before I put it on the charger, and the cover came off. AGAIN. 

I don't mind paying for repair service but the cost estimator says it's going to be $81.  To glue the sensor cover back on. AGAIN. That's about a third of what I paid for the thing.

I don't think so. What a ripoff. I'm irritated and disappointed at what a piece of junk - and what a hassle to deal with - this watch has turned out to be.

442 Replies
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to look into the options we have to assist you further, Can I please have your full model number and serial number/IMEI in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Thrill725
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My sensor cover just fell off for the second time.   I called and they said my watch is not longer under warranty, and the repair is only good for 90 days.    Repair would be minimum $70.   It's so frustrating because this is obviously a problem for many users.  I'm so done and will never buy another Samsung watch.  

0 Likes
user8PKl2B7JAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
same issue with my Rose Gold Galaxy Watch. Back sensor cover fell off.
0 Likes
Mshark1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
My sensor cover came off somewhere and now my watch just flashes the Samsung Galaxy Watch startup. It has been nowhere near water nor has it been dropped or subject to any impacts
0 Likes
userpLVoM0Np5e
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had my Galaxy Active 2 watch since novembr , so not a year yet, and a small  cover  on the back just came off. I'm not sure what to do, but this is incredibly frustrating. It hasn't gotten wet so I'm not sure why that happened. 

My watch is still under warranty 

Can anybody help ? 

Delenn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

It will be covered by the warranty until you reach the year mark, so take advantage of that. Let Samsung fix it.

The rest of this comment is what we learned after having the sensor cover replaced twice during the warranty period and again since the warranty expired. Along the way, we noticed something that was contributing to the problem. Based on this experience, I have this recommendation:

•  Use the charger that came with the watch. The watches charge much cooler on it than on some third party chargers. We realized that our third party charger (wireless for phone and watch) was making the watch a lot warmer during charging (every other day). Over time, that was slowly degrading the adhesive. The sensor back on this watch came off after five months, was warrantied twice, and both repairs lasted about five months each.  

If your problem was the third party charger getting the watch too warm, you may not have any issues after getting the repair and using the OEM charger, but just in case...

The procedure below is what I did after the cover came off again at 15 months (three months out of warranty). I was not going to pay them to fix it every five months! It's been three months since I did what I am describing below, and the watch is working perfectly (it's worn about 12 hours a day). The cover has stayed on.

If you do this repair, you do it at your own risk. I can't promise you that you will be as successful as I was or that it will be completely water tight, so I wouldn't swim with it, but that's my only caveat.

1. I bought 1mm double sided electronics repair tape and Samsung DA81-05595A adhesive (I bought both from Amazon and the tape came with very fine tweezers that were incredibly useful for manipulating the tape into place in the watch). 

2. Once I had  these items, I fully charged the watch so it would be ready to check the functionality once I finished the repair.

3. Before starting the repair, I made note of the sensor cover position on the watch (The cover was totally off the watch, so I also  used pictures online of the back of the watch to help me see how it was supposed to look when the cover was replaced correctly).

4. Next, I removed the ring of 1mm tape. I made note of its original location since part of it was still attached. It should be around the edge so the edge of the sensor cover comes in contact with it. It helps create the seal.

5. I wiped all of  the adhesive out of the watch and off of the sensor cover carefully and used a lint free cloth to finish cleaning the sensor cover. I didn't use any chemicals. My adhesive was fairly dissolved.

6. Next, I used the 1mm double sided tape I bought in step 1. I unrolled enough around the edge of the watch to create a ring of tape like the one I removed. I left a little extra and trimmed it off when I was done. I used the tweezers to carefully manipulate the exposed adhesive side of the tape into the rim (where the old tape was placed),. I shaped it into a ring like the original tape, and pressed it down. Then I trimmed the excess tape so there was nothing keeping the sensor cover raised up. Last, I used the tweezers to remove the paper to expose the outward facing adhesive surface of the tape. 

The tape is important because it helps keep from losing the sensor cover if the adhesive (step 7) fails again. My first attempt (different adhesive) failed after a few days, and the tape kept the sensor from just flying off into space (some people have used adhesive without the tape and lost the cover for good). I really tried to to make sure the tape is as flat as I could get it for a good seal.

7. Next, I added the adhesive in the area between the actual sensors and the tape. One thing I learned with this adhesive is that it's runny. It's important to try and keep it from overflowing onto the tape or the sensors (you don't need a lot of it). If I'd known how runny, I'd have made the hole in the tube very small. I was worried about it running into and impacting the sensor when I closed the cover, but it didn't.

8. Finally, I replaced the sensor cover very carefully. I made sure to align it the same way the original (the picture) was aligned. Then I made sure it was going to be completely flat. I think I had to readjust the tape once. Once flat,  I pressed the cover down against the tape and adhesive (hoping the adhesive wouldn't screw up the watch) and held the cover in place for 60 seconds.

9. Then I carefully selected the HR option and set the watch on my wrist to get a quick heart rate. I didn't strap it on or apply any pressure (push buttons or anything) while it was resting on the sensor. I didn't want to move the carefully replaced sensor cover. It worked perfectly. I was concerned I might need to clean off the sensors if the adhesive had spread out too far or interfered, but it was fine.

10. Last but not least, I let the watch sit for 24 hours before wearing.

I did this three months ago, and the watch is still going strong so far. Best of luck to you!

0 Likes
userJCwc2qZNIL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have the same problem with the back cover.  I just received the Galaxy Watch Active 2 for Christmas and the back cover came off.  I've only had this watch for 6 moths and don't even wear  it everyday.

How can SAMSUNG fix this problem?  It is obviously a defect on a very expensive watch.

0 Likes
user73x4NFwjIh
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

The same thing has happened, where the whole back cover (with sensor) just fell off.  It's only been 30 days! No abuse other than housework and washing hands. Used the charger that came with the watch. Anyone know where I send this for repair? Hopefully the warranty is more than 30 days and this is covered.

0 Likes
jaymaj13
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Last year, the rear sensor cover became detached on my Active 2 watch. Sealant failed. Samsung blamed it on water, even though watch is made for water use. Yesterday, during a round of golf, the front screen became detached from simply swinging a golf club. Watch still displays, but the sealant again failed. For a watch rated for outdoor Active use, the Active 2 has been a complete failure.  And for Samsung to market this watch for swimming and outdoor use is a joke. I'm sure a mod will respond: please note that water or sweat in the watch will void all warranties.  But that's how this watch is marketed! Active use. I guess it will track when you swim, or your heavy workout, just don't sweat or swim with it on. Maybe we should cover it with a plastic bag? 

20211003_085052.jpg

 

From samsung's own website:

"Track your workout on your wrist

Galaxy Watch Active2 tracks your movements so you can just slip it on and get working out. With swimming added to automatic tracking you now get seven exercises, while manual tracking works for all activities for dozens you can track. Running coach function gives you actionable advice in real time."

"Keeps up where you go

Take your watch along on the road less traveled. Galaxy Watch Active2 goes where you go with an IP68 and 5ATM water and dust rating plus military grade durability to handle a range of conditions, so you can keep it on to go farther and experience more.

Galaxy Watch Active2 Golf Edition is designed to be optimized for every swing. It’s lightweight and water-resistant so it can handle the way you play golf, and whether bright or cloudy, the Super-AMOLED screen is clear and easy to see even as you work on your aim"

Samsung, please fix this for people who bought the Active 2. I sure hope this was fixed on the Active 3...

0 Likes
userTNbQ0nlh2v
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am so annoyed, I lost this small little oblong plastic cover on the back of my Galaxy Active watch without realizing it obviously, didn't think it should fall out that easily...

I cannot find any reference to replacement parts?

16296224045375459347510854025941.jpg

 

arts for this?