JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Sensor cover came off on the Galaxy watch line

(Topic created: 06-30-2021 05:47 AM)
userYP50geBk05
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I bought my smartwatch in May 2020. In August 2020 the sensor cover came off. I was able to send it off and have it repaired at no charge.  Today, a month after the warranty expired, I was wiping off the underside of the watch with a damp paper towel before I put it on the charger, and the cover came off. AGAIN. 

I don't mind paying for repair service but the cost estimator says it's going to be $81.  To glue the sensor cover back on. AGAIN. That's about a third of what I paid for the thing.

I don't think so. What a ripoff. I'm irritated and disappointed at what a piece of junk - and what a hassle to deal with - this watch has turned out to be.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
442 Replies
user4AT2VqgQmr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

@nicholasyfu1 wrote:

A few months ago, I bought a Galaxy watch to go with my S9. It was pretty expensive, but it worked great and I loved using it to get notifications and track my health and sleep. In addition, Samsung advertises the Galaxy watch as having 5ATM (50 meter) water resistance. I never trusted IP68 ratings, so I always avoided getting my phone near water, but I thought that (1) due to the 5 ATM rating and (2) due to Samsung’s advertising, that the watch would be fine with water.

However, last week, my watch suddenly became unresponsive. The screen wouldn’t turn on, and I tried holding the power button, holding both buttons, putting it on the charger - but nothing worked. My watch wouldn’t turn on. So, I reached out to Samsung on their online support chat with my problem, and the representative told me to send my watch in for repair, and that it would be covered under warranty. I sent out the watch thinking that everything would be fine.

Then, I got an email from Samsung my watch’s status was updated - my watch was now considered "out of warranty" and the repair bill was $190.

Shocked, I called Samsung’s support number and the agent told me that water damage was not covered by the warranty. I explained to her that Samsung’s advertisement of the swim tracking ability of the watch, combined with the 5ATM rating, should mean that the watch should be able to withstand getting splashed with water! How can it be my fault that the watch got water damage, when Samsung advertises you can swim with the watch! She agreed with me, but told me there was nothing she could do.

Now, just to make sure I wasn’t tripping myself, I looked back at the watch’s box - and right on the side, in big font, was: “Swim-ready water resistant (5 ATM / 50 meters).” And the disclaimer was “Water resistant up to 50 meters per ISO standard 22810:2010. Not intended for scuba diving. Avoid excessive temperature changes and high-velocity activities. Rinse in fresh water/dry after use.” Now, I never scuba dive (don’t even know how to) and I rarely go swimming. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I went swimming. The only time the watch has been exposed to water is when I rinse it under the faucet with *clean tap water* to clean off dirt or sweat.

For Samsung to not honor their warranty due to water damage is completely unacceptable, especially when the watch is advertised as “Swim-ready” and resistant to 50 meters of water pressure. I've spent

I am extremely upset and disappointed in Samsung. I switched from apple to Samsung with the Galaxy S7, and I’ve been loyally buying Samsung products since then, but their deliberately false advertising and their customer service’s sheer incompetence have made me reconsider hopping back to the apple ecosystem.

Some quick searching online shows that it's not just Samsung's "swim-ready" smartwatches that can experience water damage. There are a few people on Fitbit's forums that suffered from water damage after swimming with their watches. The difference is, Fitbit gave them replacements for free, while Samsung is making me pay $190! What a joke! 

@nicholasyfu1 
Same issue with me. Mine cracked from inside? About 2 months after buying it with insurance thru esurian... both Samsung and ensuring denied my claim . And my version bill shows me paying for the watch theft/protection plan for over the last 4 months its been out of commission... then i re add my insurance and because I made claim before "without" in. They won't honor their factory protection or my boight insurance... Samsung says it was may fault it broke.? How when im wearing watch?? I only found out the screen wasn't working after I died my hands.. i threw it in rice.. and it still works but its foggy... idk how this broke15985136472996704059304527330768.jpg

image-20200827_001206.jpg

image-20200827_001033.jpg

image-20200827_001019.jpg

0 Likes
usergqwtW0kW0z
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

@nicholasyfu1 This same things happened to me just a few hours ago with the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active... Very sad. 

0 Likes
JoJoHo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Fool me once,  you. Fool me twice,  me:

I will NEVER AGAIN purchase a Samsung Galaxy watch. First purchased watch was a Galaxy Frontier about 2 years ago. Started acting weird and eventually stopped turning on. Sent to Samsung repair (under warranty) and they came back to me with a "not covered under warranty due to water damage" claim and denied warranty repair. I argued and pushed but they were having none of it. The watch has never been near water.  I did however wear the watch for a heart rate monitoring and tracking with my Strava app during cycling. When you do workouts, you sweat. I suppose that's where the water damage might have come from. I chalked it up for 1. the watch not being "active" ready and 2. me not being the most careful while exercising and sweating. 

Fast forward another year. The Active2 comes out (Model #SM-R820NZKCXAR). I start getting excited and read all the specs and it's IP67 water resistent capabilty (not water proof, I realize the difference). So I pull the trigger and drop antoher $300 and purchased the Active2 watch December  of 2019. Due to Covid and some injuries I've had, I have not used the watch "actively" all that much. I would say I've been on 15 bike rides since purchase of watch. The last ride, the watch shut down on me and has never come back on. I returned it to Samsung for repair and wouldn't you know, it's not being covered under warranty again and they want to charge me $220.00 to repair it. I'm so irate at Samsung and their service department. Why on earth would Samsung make a watch and call it "Active2" where it promotes to use it for activities like running, swimming, biking, etc. where it's expected to be in contact with moisture?! But then, when the watch stops working due to poor technology design and architecture, they pass the buck to the unsuspecting innocent consumer who is out yet another $300. I'm disgusted, angry, dissapointed and frustrated at Samsung. Most of all, I'm upset at myself for buying another Samsung watch from Samsung. NEVER AGAIN. Shame on Samsung for making a crappy inferior product that's horribly designed and not owning the shortcomings and flaws while taking care of their customers with no questions asked. This does not bode well for them at all. I'm over them. This time for good. 

0 Likes