cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Set/Show current time

"I bought expensive watches, but they don't show time unless I'm on the home screen. Also, I can't adjust current time on them" - doesn't sound right, agree?

My concern is that no matter how smart these watches are - they still should not forget that they are watches. Apple seems to understand that (in a way). My proposal is that every non-watchface screen must have time overlay that is displayed on top of a screen by default, like in stopwatch app. Some apps could use an API to hide it, but there should be a guideline for developers like "unless the app needs all screen space, it should always display current time, by using system time overlay on top or by rendering time on its own if time overlay needs to be rendered in another place on screen.

The other point is - setting current date&time in the watch. I get that most of the time it's connected to a phone and syncs with it. But when you don't have a phone around, bluetooth is off or you've setup your watch without phone: if you have wrong time - you're set with unfortunate circumstances that seem difficult or impossible to overcome, basically. Moreover, phone can have problems with getting correct time / resetting it. In this case I would want to be sure that I'll always have a device that can reliably can show correct time, like watches, for example (they could have a toggle for synching time).

Sorry if it's a wrong place to post such things, but I didn't find a more appropriate place to leave this kind of feedback

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Set/Show current time

Seems to me like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Should be a plug and play type of thing. And literally the time and date would be the last issue of concern. I agree the watch should show the time and date (correctly) at all times, no matter where you are, connected to a phone or standalone. I don't understand why you are trying to adjust the time and date in the first place, but I there is a setting for such. Hope this helps. Maybe try a reset?
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Set/Show current time

@meohme, okay, I've found a user manual for the watches, and apparently you can set time&date, it's just this setting is visible only if watch "is not connected to your mobile device". I turned off bluetooth on my watch and this option didn't appear, I guess it is visible only if you use them as a standalone device. I take my words back on setting up watch without a phone. But in case my phone dies with incorrect time, I don't know if I'll be able to find WiFi to get correct time (I hope they can sync time over NTP).

It's just I was in situations when my phone was showing incorrect time (which is fine if it's just a timezone issue, but in my case it wasn't - it just kept resetting time), and my watches were setting the same incorrect time. Maybe it is a minor thing to complain about, but at that time I wished I had an option to disable synching time, while keeping the connection alive to know if somebody called me, while the phone was on powerbank in a bag.