Original topic:

Step Counter Broken - How to turn off?

(Topic created: 08-21-2021 02:34 AM)
userzRqgthFGot
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

So I have a standard Galaxy Watch hooked up to my phone, and I've noticed over time that the step counter seems to be registering every even slight motion of my arm as a bunch of steps - I've been out very rarely since the start of lockdowns here in the UK last year - either from furlough or from working from home or just general restrictions on going outdoors, but occasionally my watch will randomly clock up a massive number of steps even if I've barely moved all day. It does this completely at random - some days it'll go a few days without doing it and then it'll decide to do it for several days and then stop again.

To give an example - right now I'm in my desk chair, and with the exception of getting out of it maybe three times to go downstairs, have been since I got out of bed at 07:00 this morning. It's now 10:25, and my step counter is registering that I've already taken 7124 steps today.

In the time I've been writing this, the step counter's decided that I've now taken 7229 steps instead, just from the slight movements of my wrist as I type.

Yesterday I woke up at 07:30 to find that the watch had apparently decided I'd gone for a long stroll at 06:00, since it had already counted over 3000 steps and I hadn't got out of bed or even woken up yet.

Is there a way to turn off the step counter in my watch, either through the watch menu or the Wearable app on my phone? The only thing I could figure out was how to turn off automatic workout detection, which does not help.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
The step counter can't be disabled.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

Don't know about steps specifically.

1) To just not display steps; if you in the watch settings/apps/permissions for Watchfaces remove the Sensor permissions it won't display the steps. Steps will still be counted, so an alternative would be to not display steps if you use a configurable watch face.

2) If you remove Sensor permissions for the Samsung Health watch app, it will not count any steps, but will disable also other activity functions (e.g will not allow Samsung Health to track walking/running distance only with GPS).   

0 Likes