JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Steps syncing more/less for day than in exercise

(Topic created: 01-14-2023 07:31 PM)
Valkillree
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I turned on the exercise of treadmill on my watch. When I was done, it showed I had 3500 steps from the treadmill. I closed the exercise, then the main screen only showed I had 2200 steps total. I looked in samsung health and the counts were off there as well. The total steps shown for the day were lower than what I achieved in the treadmill session, which makes no sense! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

In order to get an accurate step count your watch hand must be swinging in a normal walking movement.   Additionally, I have noticed that it takes a while for the data to be updated to Samsung Health. 

In the old days, I used to put my fitness tracker under my ankle socks so that it was like wearing it around my ankle.... That worked.  I don't know if something like that would work with the GW. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01003112/#inaccurate-step-factors-on-your-sams...

Factors that cause inaccuracy

The accuracy of the watch's step measurement can be affected by the following factors:

• Make sure your watch and the Samsung Health app are using the latest software.
  • Environmental and skin conditions may affect how well the steps are recorded.

• Steps are not counted when there is no hand movement in the exercise. For example, steps may not be recorded when pushing a lawn mower or cart because your hands are not moving. The watch is intended to calculate real step counts while walking.

• Walk naturally without looking at the watch or your shoulders, elbow and wrist being raised. When you walk looking at the watch, the accelerometer will not properly measure your steps taken, distance traveled, or even calories burned.

• The step count may not increase immediately when walking or exercising due to the step count algorithm. When the algorithm detects 10 continuous steps, the algorithm starts to count your steps taken and updates the step count. 

• You may experience a brief delay before the Steps app displays your latest step count. There may also be a delay before the Goal pop-up window appears.

• If you use the steps tracker while traveling by car or train, vibration may affect your step count.

If this is no help, submit an error report via Samsung Members. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Steps aren't counted in Samsung Health when recording 'tredmill' exercises.Screenshot_20230114-214633_Samsung Health_54755_1673761593.jpg
0 Likes
Valkillree
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Here is an example, it showed my steps for the treadmill and they were higher than the total steps it showed for the day. Both of these screenshots pulled from samsung health. The actual step count on my watch showed the lower number. Screenshot_20230114_135744_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20230114_135859_Samsung Health.jpg
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Very odd indeed.

What version of Samsung Health , please?

Which Samsung watch are you using?

To the best of my knowledge, Samsung watches (and phones) use the imbedded GPS in each to track your movement and estimate your 'steps' using algorithms when walking, running, hiking, etc. Since there is no way for the watch or phone to know when you actually step forward, and since there is no forward movement on a stationary the treadmill, the exercise algorithms must be overestimating the 'steps' in the Exercise section, that this being adjusted in the Steps section.
0 Likes
Valkillree
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Samsung galaxy watch 5
And what appears to be the most current version of Samsung health Screenshot_20230115_084504_Samsung Health.jpg
0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Options
Galaxy Watch

In order to get an accurate step count your watch hand must be swinging in a normal walking movement.   Additionally, I have noticed that it takes a while for the data to be updated to Samsung Health. 

In the old days, I used to put my fitness tracker under my ankle socks so that it was like wearing it around my ankle.... That worked.  I don't know if something like that would work with the GW. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01003112/#inaccurate-step-factors-on-your-sams...

Factors that cause inaccuracy

The accuracy of the watch's step measurement can be affected by the following factors:

• Make sure your watch and the Samsung Health app are using the latest software.
  • Environmental and skin conditions may affect how well the steps are recorded.

• Steps are not counted when there is no hand movement in the exercise. For example, steps may not be recorded when pushing a lawn mower or cart because your hands are not moving. The watch is intended to calculate real step counts while walking.

• Walk naturally without looking at the watch or your shoulders, elbow and wrist being raised. When you walk looking at the watch, the accelerometer will not properly measure your steps taken, distance traveled, or even calories burned.

• The step count may not increase immediately when walking or exercising due to the step count algorithm. When the algorithm detects 10 continuous steps, the algorithm starts to count your steps taken and updates the step count. 

• You may experience a brief delay before the Steps app displays your latest step count. There may also be a delay before the Goal pop-up window appears.

• If you use the steps tracker while traveling by car or train, vibration may affect your step count.

If this is no help, submit an error report via Samsung Members. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Valkillree
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks for the tips, what I found to be odd was that the watch itself showed the 3500 on the screen when I was at the end of the exercise. So it made no sense to me that my total number on the watch was less, when the watch itself recorded the amount of treadmill steps!
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Galaxy Watch

I only ever noticed that the watch was higher than the number in Samsung Health until it would finally catch up and be the same. 

Bill
---
0 Likes
Valkillree
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Weird, mine is opposite!!
bill-e
Options
Galaxy Watch

Just a by the way, I find both the steps and distance are much more accurate and repeatable with my GW5P then they are with my GW3

Bill
---
0 Likes