Original topic:

Suggestion: keep your ACTIVE watch out of the water

(Topic created: 07-12-2021 06:26 PM)
userS1foA6BUyG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have not been through all of the posts, but I've seen enough to add in my suggestion of keeping your Active2 watch out of the water.   Here's my story.

I got my watch about a year ago and is still under warranty. It performed well and tracked the various activities that it's supposed to. After going for a long bike ride recently, I got an overheating warning briefly, and it shut off shortly thereafter. I thought it odd since I hadn't seen that before, but it was warm out and I was sweating. I was able to get one more charge out of the watch before it no longer turned on. I sent it in for warranty repair. After they looked into it, the technician said there was liquid damage which was not covered under warranty. Because of corrosion, they would need to replace the motherboard, and LCD at a combined total cost that ended up $10 less than a new watch. They mentioned it wasn't water proof, but IP68 water resistant. They also proposed the possibility of a small crack from abnormal wear and tear (also not covered) might have allowed water to get in. I would disagree that there was wear and tear so I don't think that was the likely cause.  I restated to the rep that a watch that is supposed to be able to track swimming activities shouldn't be put in the water to which he replied with an answer about putting it in "water mode". I don't swim much at all and while I can't say with certainty that I've had it in water mode all of the time over the past year, I did use the water mode. I would have expected a watch with Active in the name to stand up to an active lifestyle. I would have also expected a reasonable repair price considering my original investment or a significant discount on perhaps a newer model.

I'm in the market for a new phone, and I was thinking of switching from my Motorola to a Samsung phone that would be compatible with my Active2 watch. Now guess I'm contemplating changing platforms completely since I'm in the market for new watch too. I'm breaking out my old Garmin watch in the interim because that keeps on ticking years after purchasing it.

Best of luck to those swimmers who thought they had a watch for that.

2 Replies
JERRIRC88
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Isn't the a time version supposed to be for more active people...
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have the Galaxy Watch3 (haven't water tested it) and the Galaxy Watch Active and the water resistance works fine. I don't know what the issue is going on with the other people of community are dealing with from the water damage, but I haven't experienced that