Original topic:

The exclusivity of Samsung Health Monitor for Samsung phones - reasoning

(Topic created: 09-25-2021 01:15 PM)
santomet
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello! Sorry for writing here as I am a potential customer from the EU. However, local community seems to be unmoderated so, sadly, posting there would be a great waste of time. On US pages, there is at least some marginal chance that the post will reach somebody with the power of decision-making for the global market. Also, I really want to reopen this topic as it has been played out and swept under the rug before.

So, dear decisionmaker. I fully understand your thinking behind the idea of conditioning the most interesting functions of Galaxy Watch by a good, old-fashioned vendor lock. Locking your users into "ecosystem" is Apple's modus operandi and it works great for them. So why it would not work for Samsung? And surely, for the US market you might be right, even though the lack of fanatic fans does not play by your side.

However, there is this small region of central and east Europe where most people don't know the term "extra money" or "money I don't care about." We buy things because we see value in them. Not because it has great marketing or it is forced, like in this case. Our natural inner rebellion mindset is hard, it works the other way around. By the same manner, Galaxy Watch 4 have great value for many people - fairly precise blood pressure and ECG monitoring is something really important you bring to the market. Even if it costs almost 400€. There is just no good competition. But just the fact that the main features are locked by another condition, makes us uncomfortable.

So while I would happily invest my hard-earnt 400€ on that watch, purely because of the functions in Health Monitor, I would never ever buy any phone with such a price. My POCO F1 that costs half of that is an absolute ideal - easily repairable, long lasting and powerful. And You have nothing similar and sadly, never will have. Your phones priced that low are far away from what that one can offer. Therefore, even though I would buy the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic at this very moment, I can't. It would be a waste of money this way. At least if I don't want to rely on unofficial MOD. And if any competitor comes up with a good enough alternative, I will hop there immediately.

Of course, you can argue internally that you want to build a loyal customer base and you don't even want someone like me - an eastern European geek repairing his own stuff and combining electronic devices from different vendors as he likes. But I guarantee you that if you throw out this stupid artificial limitation, the sales of these watches in my region would skyrocket.

Do you have balls for that?

6 Replies
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you so much for reaching out, we appreciate your feedback. This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link:https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
santomet
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you so much for your warm reply. I am well aware of the fact  that I am not an US customer as stated in the very first paragraph of my post. I genuinely want to believe that this reply is either automatized and based on AI or you as moderators are required to write this notification as a matter of legal precaution.

However, I would appreciate if you could advance the merit of this post (which is not limited to any region) somewhere. Of course, if it would be by any means possible and within your possibilities.

Or at least tell me (if you know that) where these decisions are made and I will write directly to them. Of course, I would also accept if you tell me that the mentioned decision with a global reach has not been made in the US but in Korea.

I am sure that you do absolutely understand what and why I am asking. And I also know that it is not your duty to help out here. But I hope that appealing to your humanly side could help here. 

Thank you!

Options
Galaxy Watch
Did u see if you can use the active 2 ? It checks bp, ecg pulse n so on
0 Likes
santomet
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello there! Thanks for the idea, but it makes no difference.

Sadly, BP and ECG on both generations of galaxy watch (Active 2/Watch 3 and Watch 4) is a functionality bound to the Samsung Health Monitor application. 

As a matter of fact, you can only install it on a Galaxy phone - which is artificial limitation made by Samsung purely to force you to buy a Galaxy phone. Without it, the watch would be on par with dozens of watches from other manufacturers like GARMIN.

Options
Galaxy Watch
Maybe YouTube has some workaround solutions, but try it at your own risk, it might violate terms and conditions
0 Likes
Inquitisitive
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have tried every wrap around I could find. I am a US customer. I have tried to change my region, but its too complicated. I bought my watch 3 a year ago and have called several times for assistance and Samsung always replies that the US has not yet approved it. I can however download an app for my phone which works. I bought by watch specifically for the blood pressure app and was assured that it will check my blood pressure. I guess it's my fault because I didn't ask when. I don't wear my watch now. Ot is worthless to me now and wonder if it will ever be useful. O am disheartened with Samsung. I will look closely at other brands for my next phone.
0 Likes