JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unable to Activate as Standalone Device Sprint/Tmobile

(Topic created: 10-29-2021 11:32 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch
After 2.5 weeks of owning 3 Galaxy 4 watches, my carrier has started numerous times this watch are not standalone devices even though all three are LTE. Two are 46mm Classic and one 40mm.

They have stated I must have a service plan on each device to basically use a BT version only but the watches will not work if I leave the phone at home or if the phone is out of range in my home as a standalone. 

I need help and any insight to this or your issues/resolutions with this carrier are much appreciated. I feel as though my hard earned money is being wasted and I'm stuck with a 24 month plan on each phone at this point. 

The carrier stated the only standalone devices from Samsung that they have are the Active 2 and the Galaxy 3. The Galaxy 4 wouldn't be one with the standalone service that I have bought from them. . 
Options
Galaxy Watch
It takes an army for these watches it seems...🤣 I again, thank you. 😊
kwaidoi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree!
I have FirstNet (ATT) as my phone carrier and would have no trouble with an Apple Watch but they dont support the W4.
ATT themselves support it but I would have to buy the basic phone plan for $80/month just for the watch.
Ridiculous!
I searched the web for other carriers and found a couple of questionable foreign ones and finally TM.
If the watch took a regular sim card Red Pocket and Mint Mobike would work but of course the W4 is Esim
Grrr🤨
I even called Samsung to ask what carrier would provide LTE for their W4 and they didn't know 🙄
Hope I saved you a little time searching 😁
Options
Galaxy Watch
From my understanding with talking to tech support now this isn't for standalone. He stated your watch should only be a "companion" and not "standalone" which means you must keep the phone near the watch for it to work.

He said this is strictly a software issue that Samsung changed on them and the watches are simply not standalone with their network and to thank Samsung for that change. 🤬😣
kwaidoi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hi!
Tech support is not correct.
When I'm outside working out a mile away from my phone I can make and receive phone calls on thTM line and receive texts sent to my FN number
Maybe drop in a store and see if they are more knowledgeable 😑
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
I just had a dropped call from tech support. He read this link plus the one in Android Forum. He said it's not possible. I'm just as lost as ever now.

I don't have a store within a 1.5 hour drive from me unfortunately and I'm suffering bronchitis, so housebound I am. 😢
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ok, he will call me back tomorrow and we will try to match the plan with service. He seems to think he understands what is needed to be done.

Phone can be companion but not a true standalone like day an Apple watch or Galaxy 2 or 3...
0 Likes
kwaidoi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble 😒
Perhaps if you just ask them to give you that plan by name, assign a new phone number to it, and register it to your IMEI then you can finish the process with the QR code whether or not they have any idea what they're doing

Hope you're feeling better too!
Please let me know if I can help in any way further 🤞
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm trying everything in my power to make this work. I think the gentleman I was speaking to will be able to figure it out. He checked one of the watches IMEI numbers and was upset himself that I'm paying for service in which the watch should at least be having data/mobile connections in which he saw it wasn't. He knew what you meant with the QR code and said my account had that part activated on all 3 watches but the service itself was not linking to the actual devices. It's set up on their end but not the watches.

Thank you for the well wishes on my health and this issue. It's wearing me out. 😆
0 Likes
kwaidoi
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Maybe he and I have a different idea what "standalone" means lol
Please let me know what happens 🤞🤞🤞
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch
He dismissed the customers knowledge to his very own. The "make the customer feel dumb while we are the only educated experts in the world" feeling.

Stand-alone means just that. Watch with number and plan where you can leave the phone at home and receive calls, etc.

Companion means nothing more than a BT device even if LTE version with service plan with their company. Phone must be within reach of the watch to work. (This is all they are offering and said to thank Samsung for changing up programming after launch).
0 Likes