cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Urgent - Samsung Galaxy Watch overheating burned my wrist

I have a Galaxy Smartwatch 42mm  stainless steel on rose gold that I purchased maybe a little over a year  ago. I love the watch!!  I've noticed that I've been having a little bit of stinging here and there but now my watch has burnt my wrist and it will not hold a charge and keeps overheating.  I turned it off as I was afraid it would catch on fire . It started happening about a month ago - I purchased on Amazon about 4/2019.  Please let me know if there is a recall or if I can send back to samsung for a replacement . 

I am really concerned .  I can not use the watch now. 

Please let me know what to do .  I have the original box and the receipt. 

Model # SM-R810NZDAXAR

<edit>

Thank you,

Sincerely ,

Linda Wakeland 

<edit>

<edit>

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Urgent - Samsung Galaxy Watch overheating burned my wrist

users2r00PTwGr

My wifes watch (same exact model as yours) did the same thing last night (7-5-2020), the sensor became so hot it burned my wifes wrist and the glue that holds the sensor glass melted so it is no longer attached to the watch. I also filed a report with Consumer Product Safety Commission CPSC.gov, everyone who is having an overheating problem needs to file a report. It is important to do this because of the danger, one: is the loss of use of the watch, second: is the potential for an injury, third: if this device catches fire while on the charger it can cause a house fire placing everyone at risk in the home.

I suggesting this because of safety, I was an inspector for the US Army in the feild of electronic's with over 20 years of experiance in the field. I trained soldiers and inspected their work daily on much more sophisticated equipment and reported systemic failures by product for suggested improvements. The Galaxy Watch is a danger (you & my wife burned) not to mention the larger implications of harms that could come from this overheating issue. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Wow Thank you I Will do that. I sent back for repair

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I sent Samsung pictures of my wifes wrist, showing the burn and the sensor glass. It is looking like 2016 is hitting Samsung again, meaning Samsung failed to recall the Galaxy Note in a tinely manner, the Galaxy Note had overheating problems with the phone catching fire. People were banned from bringing their Galaxy phones on to aircrafts.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@Trvkell Your case has been escalated to the proper channel. Please allow time for them to contact you.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Please hurry up, we need to use this expensive watch. The amount of money spent on this watch means 24hrs or less. You have had plenty of time as a company (Samsung) to address this issue, RE all the other overheating watches etc.

Thank You

Travis

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am having the same problem.  How were you able to escalate.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I am having the same problem.  How do you send it back for repair.  The burn marks on my wrist are small but it's there.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Really good tips.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Astronaut

This has also happened to me!  A couple weeks ago, my Galaxy Smartwatch 42mm that I have had and loved for a year and a half, suddenly got extremely hot on my wrist, as I frantically rushed to take it off before I was burned.  I powered it off and let it sit for a long time.  This had never happened before. The glue for the back piece over the sensor must have melted, because it slips around now, and I have caught it falling off and pressed it back into place (although I doubt it is secure).  It happened a couple additional times causing me to be concerned and wonder if I should even wear it.  I use it for sleep monitoring and heart rate, and it has always worked wonderfully, charged correctly and lasted at least a couple days on a charge.  It is in great condition, has never been in water or had any damage to it.

Trying to resolve the issue, I ran the latest updates just this week to see if that might fix the overheating problem, but that actually made things worse!  Now the watch battery runs down within hours and heats up constantly, to the point where I am afraid to wear it at all, let alone sleep with it!  It gives me continuous warnings about overheating as it very quickly starts getting very hot against my skin.  Trying to fix the issue, I have disabled the sensor, thinking that might have been the problem, turned off all apps to the point where my smartwatch is no longer "smart" and just acts as a watch, but the extreme battery drain and overheating is still happening.  Now, as of today, after trying a factory reset, the watch will not stay on.  It is fully charged, I can turn it on and it will stay on for about a minute and then shut itself off without warning, never connecting to the phone in the process, and warming up before it shuts down.  I cannot turn it on again unless I set it on the charger for a moment, until the lightning bolt shows it is at 100%, then I can power it on again, but it still powers itself off within a minute. 

It seems that this is a known problem that has been reported by many users and is getting worse.  It is endangering our health (burns) and our property (fire potential), and is making us fearful to even try to wear it, if it stays on.  Please, Samsung… I love my watch and just want it back the way it was!  It is not very old and should last much longer than a year and a half.  What is the solution?  Is there a recall?  Should I be afraid of my battery exploding or catching fire?  I would appreciate a real response, not a “did you try this” answer, as I have tried everything.  Thank you!!

Model #SM-R810