cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Warranty Issues Due to "Water Damage"

I purchased the Active 2 on May 9th, and I went "swimming" with it for the first time on July 1st. It has a swim mode feature and is advertised as a device you can swim with - up to 50 feet for 30 minutes; I did neither of those things. I was wading in the pool, and after about 10 minutes, I noticed my watch was not working anymore. I went into the house, dried it off, and the back cover of the watch came loose and came off (it looked like it was glued on and the glue wasn't strong enough to hold it anymore). I took a picture of it, and I contacted Samsung. Right away the rep started saying that it's water resistant and not waterproof. I had a sinking feeling I was going to be in for a fight. And sure enough, I received a bill on July 7th for $219.79 - THAT IS ALMOST WHAT I PAID FOR THE WATCH! They said there was water damage to the motherboard, so my year warranty on the device is null and void. I've spoken to three different customer service reps, and Samsung is refusing to budge on this. One supervisor informed me I would be better off buying a new watch. She also said to file a complaint online, but there is nowhere to do that. The agent could not find the link for me. The agent then gave me a number to call, but it is no longer in service. I cannot believe this is happening. If anyone has any advice about how I can get a resolution to this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Warranty Issues

guess u didn't turn on tge waterproofing protect on tge watch it in tge wearable section on tge watch u have to turn it on before going in the pool r shower so any part of tge warch has any opening closes up so no water gets in
Highlighted
Asteroid

I had it in swim mode before going into the pool.  According to Samsung, it's not waterproof; it's water resistant.  But the site also claims you can swim with it for up to 30 minutes in up to 50 feet of water.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have the same issue.  Only I was not swimming and did not submerge it.  It was no more than 2 inches in the water, but was in swim (water lock) mode before entering the pool.  A few minutes after being in the pool it shut off and would not come on again.  I went and washed it with tap water, dried it out for 2 hours would not charge or come on again.  When it cut off it had 79% battery life.

Yet, Samsung keeps telling me it is not capable of swimming in pool, or Ocean or Sea.  Yet please read this from the CEO about this exact watch posted in 2018.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-galaxy-watch-stay-connected-no-matter-where-you-are/#:~:text=Gal....

They are asking me first time I talked to them to pay $350 for repair.  Then they told me they will give me a discounted offer and just this once for $115 to repair.  Even though I have an additional 3 months left on the warranty.

Also, they advised me mine had iodized or Salt water that cause corrosion.  I would like to understand how I got either of those in the watch when I live in WV.  We are in the middle of a pandemic and the closest thing to swimming we get is at our family inground pool.  Its chlorine not salt.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Warranty Issues Due to "Water Damage"

I got a repair bill for the same amount, and my watch never has even been near water! The watch apparently can't  even take the sweat from your wrist. They said it had water damage.  I said it has an app for swimming! All I ever did was wear the watch. No swimming, just cycling and the watch couldn't handle that! They will not cover the watch under warranty. Never again!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Unfortunately, you are not the first person to share this with me.  I've been reading other threads, and there are similar stories to ours.  I filed a claim with the BBB last week, and someone from the Office of the President of Samsung emailed me to basically tell me that they would still not honor the warranty.  She stated that since the cover came off, it caused water damage.  But if you look on this site, there are other customers who have complained about the cover coming off - without ever swimming (like you), and Samsung still claims water damage.  It's clear that there is a defect in this product, and I brought it to her attention, but she simply ignored me and said there was nothing that could be done.

Highlighted
Astronaut

it support swim mode but when there is any issues, sumsung dont waranty for that. it will say water damange and sumsung dont honor the waranty. and the price for repair is far more expensive than purchase a new watch.

i just have problem on my sumsung watch active after swim, then i sent for repair and they told me that the watch cant use for swim as it is just water resistant. I 'm so dissapointed and i insist file complain for my case. so end up they just offer me a 15% discount voucher (valid for one month) to purchase a new watch.

but with the experience i got, i wont purchase sumsung watch anymore.

so please consider before u buy.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I had the same issue.  Very disappointed. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Filled complaint with BBB.  Don't understand how a company can advertise a product a certain way and when the customer uses for advertised actives and the devise malfunctions and they will not fix it.  Never had any issues with Samsung until now. 

Highlighted
Constellation

I brought the Samsung s20 active watch not too long ago.My watch started not responding and not working correctly. I sent the watch to get it check and they said there was water damaged, but I never drop in the water or even shower with it. I wear it like any other  watch with care. So they said I have to pay $200 n plus to repair it. Im very upset about that.  So I file a dispute claim and hopefully others will do so that way the next person might get a fair protocol on this situation.