JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Watch 3 - Can't add Emergency Contact for SOS

(Topic created: 10-02-2020 10:28 AM)
denisiel
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

When selecting Emergency Contact for SOS, nothing happens.  Originally selected the Google Contacts so maybe that's the problem.  But how do I get back to be able to select Samsung Contacts?

10 Replies
Adaboy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
In your contacts turn on Auto sync for Samsung contacts maybe that will help.
0 Likes
denisiel
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you but where do I turn that on?  In my phone, all contacts are coming from Google and none are in Samsung.  Is that a problem - does the watch need to pull the contacts from Samsung and not Google.  I downloaded the Contacts app and see my contacts but have to add each entry one by one.  This should all be transferred.  So it seems my contacts are no syncing or they are linked to the wrong account....?

0 Likes
Adaboy
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
After thinking about since you have Google contacts you probably have auto sync enable since Google gets that contact info from your phone. My contacts are saved to my phone.
0 Likes
ViniciusSilva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have exactly the same problem with my Watch Active 2. Can't select an emergency contact. The contacts list appears, I choose one and nothing happens. And yes, I'm using Google Contacts, but also have Samsung Contacts installed, and all my contacts are in both apps.

However, if I select the option to create a new emergency contact it works, but creates a duplicate contact in both apps.

Any idea?

Thanks 

0 Likes
ViniciusSilva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello, I've found the solution.

It only works with the Samsung Contact picker, so since we're using Google Contacts it won't work.

To fix that, go to Google Contacts app info and clear defaults. Next time you try to add a SOS contact, it will ask which app you want to choose from (Google Contacts or Samsung Contacts), this time you should select the Samsung one, and it will add correctly.

denisiel
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you ViniciusSilva.  Under Apps in my phone, I have two apps named "Contacts" but neither are "Google Contacts"  I cleared the caches (but did not clear data).  Where is "Google Conatcts"?

I opened SOS under the Galaxy Wearable app and it did not ask me to choose from Google Contacts or Samsung Contacts.  I tried to select a contact for SOS but the same contacts listings appear and nothing happens with I select one.

0 Likes
Solution
ViniciusSilva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Google Contacts is the one with the blue icon: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts&hl=en_US

You must clear defaults. In the app info screen there's a menu called "Define as default", click that, and then there's a button "clear defaults". Then, when you go to Wearable app and choose select SOS contact, it will ask which app you want to select from, then you select the Samsung Contacts app (orange icon). 

denisiel
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you ViniciusSilva - you are BRILLIANT!!!  After set ting the emergency contacts, neither Samsung or Google Contacts are ser as defauIt.  How do I reselect Google Contacts as the default in the App settings?

ViniciusSilva
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I don't think there's a way to set as default as before, but Android will ask it again whenever an app needs it, i.e. adding a contact in Whatsapp, then you can select "always use this app" or "once"