Original topic:

Watch 4 Classic Steps Counting

(Topic created: 10-06-2021 06:39 AM)
janiceanne
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Apologies if this has been asked, but I couldn't find it doing a search.  I switched from a Garmin to the watch 4 classic and expected a similar experience with the basics, such as steps counting.  What I've found on the watch 4 is the steps don't update until after I go into the Samsung Health app and look to see what the step count is.  Then, I have to go back to the watch, and click on the steps again, and the step count increases.

Is this normal?
6 Replies
DanG92263
Sun
Options
Galaxy Watch
I would think that the GPS antenna is larger and, therefore, able to ping more satellites, making it much more accurate, so that, your phone's tracking is preferred and updates the watch, then, when you're not carrying your phone and you're hopefully outdoors, the watch continues the count.
0 Likes
janiceanne
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I do always have my phone, but just not used to the fact that the steps don't "move" on my watch, as I'm walking, like they did on my Garmin. I preferred the real-time update.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@janiceanne This is definitely not my experience.

Have you tried a different watch face on your GW4?

Which phone do you have it synced to? And is it linked in the Galaxy Wearable app?

0 Likes
janiceanne
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (Verizon), and it is linked to the Galaxy Wearable app. I'm using the "flower" watch face and steps is one of the complications I chose. I'll try a different watch face and see if that resolves things...thanks.
0 Likes
janiceanne
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Changed to 4 or 5 different watch faces. Unfortunately, steps didn't update until I went into Samsung Health app, then back to watch and into and out of steps screen. 🤷‍:female_sign: I am doing a 21-day trial of.the watch, so I'll reach out to Samsung and see if this isn't just a defective one.
0 Likes
janiceanne
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Just an update I spoke with Samsung tech support this morning. She said they have a test to see if the watch needs to be replaced...walk continuously and in a straight line for 50 steps. If the watch does not update the steps, it "needs to be replaced." She stayed on the phone while I walked, and it took 700+ steps to update (i.e., when the phone finally showed the steps, it went from 0 to 700+). I'm going to see how it does tomorrow when I go on a hike, but I will likely send it back for a replacement.
0 Likes