Original topic:

Watch 4 Classic... loss of email control, watch faces, etc.

(Topic created: 09-03-2021 02:13 PM)
GJK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hey Everyone,

I was so used to my GW3 and email. Waking up and being able to check my email from my wrist was the start of my day. Now, I can't do it. The new Watch 4 no longer uses the Mail app we've become so accustomed to in the Android environment. Shared with EVERY Samsung device I own, it was seemless. But now, for some reason, we're stuck with a nonfunctional Outlook app. It doesn't hold an email list...only new email. Honestly, I haven't seen a single email pushed through. It just says "all caught up". I'm tech savvy and have jumped through all the hoops to make this work. It's not the user, it's the watch. Again, my GW3 works flawlessly.

Also, it would have been nice to know beforehand that all watch faces purchased through Galaxy Store would be lost and not transfer to the new watch. Watching the unpacked event and pushing seemless app intregration really feels like false marketing with these issues. Plus pushing only watch faces on Google Play store is a problem. Their health data on faces is connected to Google Health and not Samsung Health. Heart rate, etc. remains "zeroed" out.

I've contacted Samsung because I only have a week to send back my GW3 for Trade In. I don't think I should be held hostage by Samsung for being a loyal customer. Hopefully Samsung is seeing these emails and realizing there are multiple problems that need to be fixed.

7 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch
Bad news, but since the Watch3 is Tizen based, your watch faces will not carry over since it relied on the Galaxy Store. Now that the Watch4 is solely based on the WearOS and Play Store, you'll need to start fresh. This is kind of Google and Samsung's fault since Google started off struggling with their own Wearble platform and Samsung didn't take enough control of their own devices. I was afraid something like this would happen, so I might stick to Tizen despite the lack of app support and further development.
0 Likes
GJK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I was aware of this, but many watch face developers discussed this on social media. Many have or are in the middle of "porting" some over. Some are waiting on Google to approve them. However, the ones that are there have broken health sync issues.

I'm going to watch this closely and see if anything changes. Samsung only extended my GW3 trade-in til the 17th. If there's no movement on any of this, GW4 goes back and I keep my Tizen based GW3. Perhaps that's the way to go as this "partnership" seems not completely thought through.

0 Likes
userhdnC1ZBPB0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Agreed. This is so pathetic not to bring all the watch faces forward from Tizen. If not all than at least the Samsung ones. Have been a big Samsung user but this is very disappointing. This is no way to reward loyalty. May have to look for non Samsung alternative if there is no continuity of user experience.

0 Likes
userKMWbW7Btsp
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I agree completely with the original post. The only thing that aggravates me more than the email option we have, is the fact they chose to do away with the option to allow ALL notifications regardless of whether your watch "thinks" it's being worn or not. My tattoos have always wreaked havoc with the AOD, but every other Samsung/Galaxy watch gave you the option in the app/watch. Until they fix that I'm not getting alerted to any notifications. Thanks Google....

0 Likes
GJK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well, I fixed my problem. I contacted Samsung and am sending the GW4 back. How frustrating this has been. It really feels that they didn't think this through and brought a questionable "finished" product to market. The move to WearOS, at this point, is a mess and leaves previous watches with a much more stable experience. While I want to upgrade to a watch with better hardware specs, I think I'll wait in the GW4 til next year.

TheWraith
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I am doing the same and I agree.  This is a half-baked, crippled Google product that Samsung is shoving all their proprietary software onto customers when there is no need.  Imagine buying a Microsoft OS and not being able to run IE/Edge, or any of the MS Office suite of products?  No,  you had to run specific software...HP...forced you to run.

That is not the model consumers pay for.

0 Likes
userfxdL4Ga10m
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hallo habe das gleiche Problem wie alle Galaxy Watch 4 Classic Besitzer.

Nach einiger Recherche habe Ich folgendes eruiert.   

Die Uhr hat ein neues OS  Betriebssystem von Google und nicht mehr von Samsung.

Damit Läuft auch das E-Mailprogramm von Samsung auf der Watch 4 nicht mehr.

Auf der Watch4 befindet sich jetzt eine App von Outlook. Nach Aussage von Samsung muss auf dem Smart Phon dann die App von Outlook Installiert werden.

Also gesagt und getan. App auf meinem S21 ultra 5g installiert.  Aber es geht weiterhin nicht.

Samsung wieder Kontaktiert, aber Sie Wissen auch nicht weiter. Sie wollte weiter nach einer Lösung Suchen und sich Heute bis  17:30 bei mir Melden. Aber Satz mit X war wohl nix!

Habe 2 Stück von den Watch Galaxy gekauft. Werde sie wohl zurück geben

Gruß Irganox

0 Likes