Original topic:

Watch 4 Missing 'Use Lock for Payments Only' functionality.

(Topic created: 12-27-2021 09:05 AM)
userOgJvmoZ5Y2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi, Is this page an actual place where software problems are fixed or a place for people to share opinions? I recently purchased a Watch 4 and there is an issue with Samsung Pay and setting a security pin. The issue I have found is that in order to set the pin for Samsung Pay the watch setting for a pin to unlock the phone also needs to be set. This causes the owner to enter the pin twice to use Samsung Pay, once to unlock the phone and then again to use Samsung Pay. I have absolutely no interest in entering a pin twice, I will keep my old watch 3. It seems the software is missing 'use lock for payments only' logic. Is there a software developer from samsung that can confirm this logic will be added or will not be added.  

12 Replies
andyy98
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
I use my Samsung pay on my watch 4 and it does not prompt me to do my pin twice. Only once if I take my watch off. Strange that it's doing so, must be something in the settings or a security thing that you have setup with your Samsung pay.
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userOgJvmoZ5Y2 What type of phone is your watch connected to? Is it something other than a Samsung phone?

As @andyy98 said, if your GW4 is paired to a Samsung phone the GW4 will only ask for the PIN if the GW4 is locked. And it never asks for a PIN on the phone. 

0 Likes
userOgJvmoZ5Y2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

The phone the watch 4 is connected to is a Samsung Galaxy S10. Here are a few steps I have taken:

The old watch was unpaired from the phone.

Samsung Pay uninstalled and reinstalled on phone. Credit card added to Samsung pay and authorized. 

Watch 4 paired to phone and pin added. At same time security setting on phone was set to same pin. Set security setting on phone to 'None', which led to pay not working. Reset security on phone to pin and added pin back and pay worked. 

Old watch did not have cause this behavior on phone.

realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's annoying to set a pin to unlock the phone, but you only have to input the pin more than once if the watch leaves your wrist, ir you manually lock it. You cannot use Samsung pay if you don't set a pin. The GW2 had the pin for Pay only, but now once you unlick your watch after putting it on, you dont have to use the pin fir SPay.

If we hadn't gotten used to the old way, we wouldnt find it as annoying.

That being said, I can see the ligic of the watch being secured when off your wrist, because it does contain private information other than Samsung Pay that you might not want other people to access. IMO the watch lock should be an optional feature snd the should offer the option to use the pin fir Pay only..
isaacoryxk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
But why not only lock the samsung pay app instead of the whole watch
0 Likes
realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
I agree, especially since the watch seems to randomly lock itself...this is unacceptable. They should either make it a choice to secure individual apps or put on a fongerprint sensor. The random locking is starting to make the watch unusable for anything other than telling time. I can use a Timex for that.
0 Likes
isaacoryxk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hey I was wondering if we could get a "use lock for payments option" for the samsung galaxy watch 4 I use it all the time but it appears that I need a lock on my entire watch to be able to use it. I just dont like locking my whole watch instead of just the samsung pay app. If you can please fix this software issue ❤️ thanks
45Wheelgun
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
The only thing that annoys me about my watch4 classic is having to constantly unlock it. Like you i only locked the samsung Pay app on my previous 3 samsung watches. Thanks for posting this.
isaacoryxk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
Exactly
0 Likes