Original topic:

Watch 4 not receiving most notifications in LTE mode

(Topic created: 02-16-2022 05:03 PM)
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a Watch 4 LTE that is paired to a Galaxy S9 and receive notifications no problem when paired via Bluetooth.  However, when I actually try to use the LTE mode I paid extra for (as well as a monthly fee for), I do not receive most notifications.  I can receive phone calls and usually get texts when using Samsung Messages (but not at all with Google Messages).  I'm on AT&T and have NumberSync enabled, which works for my phone and texts.

How can I get notifications for other apps when I'm in LTE mode?  I'm most interested in getting "Alarm.com", "Ring - Always Home", and "myQ" app notifications when in LTE mode.  It would also be nice to get notifications from "Outlook", a default app.  All these notifications work great when paired via Bluetooth, but I need them via LTE as well.

Thanks!

The Watch 4 reports no updates are available
One UI Watch version:  4.0
Software version:  R865USQU1EVA9
Google Play services:  21.48.15
System version:  11
Wear core services:  1.0.0.418973743
Security software version:  ASKS v4.0 Release 20211027
Android security patch level:  January 1, 2022

10 Replies
ChayB97
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Well, my advice is for you to go to the galaxy wearable app and go to apps and then check the settings for that specific app, I believe that you should be able to enable all the notifications you need from there, I'm not 100% sure, I work at a different carrier so if it's something to do with them, then I can't really help but check on the wearable app, or your settings on the watch itself, there's also settings for specific apps withing the watch settings.
0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

The notifications are turned on in the Galaxy Wearable app, obviously, because I get notifications when paired via Bluetooth.  The notification toggles are switched on (blue) and I see no option to specify a separate notification for when it is in LTE mode.  Or am I not understanding you correctly?  Thanks

0 Likes
realaud
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
You won't get notifications i LTE mode unless the apps you want notifications for have companion apps on the watch. You'd have to chrck the play store to see if there are companion apps for your watch.
0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

@realaud 

What do you mean by companion apps? For instance, I have the Outlook app on my phone as well as the preinstalled Outlook app on the watch and I still don't get notifications from Outlook in LTE mode (but do get them when paired via Bluetooth).

The other apps I need don't have Wear OS versions, unfortunately.  It's very clear Samsung released the Watch 4 series well before Wear OS and its apps were ready for it.  The LTE version especially has felt like a rip-off so far.  6 months in and it's still not where it should have been on launch day.

0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm still looking for a solution to this.  Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this issue or anyone from Samsung know when this will be fixed?

0 Likes
uservYf2lsIht2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Galaxy wearable apps -> Watch setting -> Advance features -> Remote connection

turn it of and on again. 

0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks for the suggestion; I'm going to give it a test later today/tonight when I next go out.

When I look up the feature on Samsung's website, it seems to be related only to Wi-Fi, meaning it will only work if I'm within Wi-Fi range of a network I've previously connected to.  Maybe it's just bad documentation on Samsung's part, but it appears to not have anything to do with using the Watch 4 in LTE mode.

In any case, I'll give it a try.  I missed the feature before because they have the option listed below the "Gestures" heading and didn't give it it's own heading, so at first glance it just looks like another gesture option.

0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well, that sort of worked.  I was able to get some notifications in LTE mode after enabling Remote Connection, but didn't get any of the texts sent to me.  I did get Ring and Alarm.com notifications, at least, and was able to check my Outlook email, but didn't test everything.

The biggest downside to enabling the feature was that my watch battery drained from 100% to 0% in 2 hours and 45 minutes.  Other than briefly testing that I was getting the Ring and Alarm.com notifications, and the email (2 minutes of use max), I didn't use the watch for the rest of that time.

I have suspected since I bought this watch that Samsung released it prematurely.  The Bluetooth model would be fine, I think, but the LTE version just doesn't function well.  Too many glitches and battery life is too poor.

0 Likes
nrz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

After the April 22, 2022 software update, I can get all the main notifications I need (with "Remote connection" enabled per uservYf2lsIht2's suggestion).  The Samsung Messages app still doesn't send or receive texts in LTE mode since the March update, but now that Google Messages works in LTE mode I don't care about that.

So finally, 7 months after the Watch 4 was released, has Samsung made the Watch functional in LTE mode as intended.  And that's assuming they don't break it again in a future software update.

Regarding the battery drain, it's only really bad when it can't connect to a cell tower (e.g. when I'm inside certain buildings in certain areas).  Then I guess it just repeatedly tries to ping it and that's why it drains the battery so fast.

0 Likes