Original topic:

Watch 5 Pro - Same problem as the Watch4 Classic - Display turns off when you move your wrist.

(Topic created: 08-23-2022 11:31 AM)
uservi8xBCANjI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well, I was hoping and praying that the Watch5 Pro fixed the problem that originated in the Watch4, but from what I see, the exact same problem occurs in the Watch5 Pro  (am I surprised??).

The problem:  When you move your wrist, the display immediately turns off REGARDLESS of the user- defined display timeout (i.e. 15 seconds).

I did a write up on this topic months ago and posted to this Samsung forum (Watch4), so I will cut/paste the writeup here:

Samsung, when are you going to fix this ongoing continuous problem that has been there for more than  year now and has been reported by SO MANY Watch4 users.  What is the hold up?  - Design flaw that can't be fixed with a software update???????.  This is getting too old to keep waiting for a response from Samsung.  WAS NEVER A PROBLEM ON THE WATCH3.

Scenario:  (again)

1.  Jogging

2.  Double tap screen to wake up display  (has a user-defined 15-second timeout).

3.  Attempt to look at the screen while you are jogging.

4.  Screen turns off within 0.25 seconds.  (yes, you read correctly,  0.25 second at best).

This very stupid "turn/move your wrist" design flaw is impacting runners who want to quickly check their stats while running.  And NO, runners don't ever stop moving to look at their watch.   And NO, enabling AOD is not a option.  Imagine that, the Watch team created the "turn your wrist in order to turn off the screen" feature to conserve power, but then Samsung says to enable AOD (chew up battery) to work around this problem.  Another problem with AOD is that when you move your wrist, the screen dims, thus you can't see the screen during the daytime when you are outside. 

Why isn't there a custom setting to allow the screen to honor the user-define display timeout while you are moving your wrists?  So simple, but yet, nothing from Samsung. WHY  WHY??

Anybody home/awake at Samsung (Watch) department???

Do I need to return the Watch5 Pro for a full refund just as I did with the Watch4 Classic?  Still deciding now.

If anyone has a solution, please do tell, whereas we have 15 days to return for a full refund.

4 Replies
Home_in_BKK
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
My 5 pro screen turns on when I move my wrist to see the watch face, same as my old watch 4 classic. I have Raise wrist to wake and touch screen to wake ON.
0 Likes
uservi8xBCANjI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks, but that's not the problem.   It's when you move your wrist (when you are swinging your hands during running) is when the screen turns off.

Try it.

1.  Start jogging

2.  Raise your wrist as you are jogging/running  (i use the screen tap feature to turn on the screen).

3.  As you try to view your screen, the display immediately turns off because you moved your wrist

Spend a day trying this and you will see the frustration with it.

The screen turning off immediately happens regardless of your user-defined screen timeout or whether you use the "raise your wrist to turn on the screen" feature.  

The Watch5 Pro/Watch4 design/fail makes a bad assumption that you are not looking at your screen while running, so it just turns off your screen.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@uservi8xBCANjI I agree that this can be aggravating. I chased this down years ago and learned that the user defined timeout setting you mention is only invoked if you interact with the screen. For example, you twist your wrist to activate the screen and then you swipe right/left. Now the 15 second timeout applies. 

0 Likes
Maig
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Still turns off after interacting when wrist is moved.

0 Likes