cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wooky2000
Asteroid

Watch Active 2 - GPS and Calorie count inaccurate

It seems like this is happening with all GWA2s so not specific to my unit. I've been using the Gear Sport for the past 2 years and have been religiously running, so I have a good benchmark.

Picked up GWA2 on 9/27. Had 2 runs with it so far - I've done both courses multiple times with the Gear Sport.

Run 1: Neighborhood loop (4.85 miles) - distance is accurate so I thought GPS was working. However burned calories was 370 calories. There is no way a 165 lbs male running 5 miles at a speed of 7 min/mile burns only that much.

Run 2: Running Track (3.5 miles / 14 laps) - if you look at the post-run map, it is clear that the watch is all over the place with the GPS coordinates. With the Gear Sport, it outlined the track oval quite well. With GWA2, it almost felt like the "high GPS accuracy" setting was not even functional. Also calorie count came in at 307 calories. Gear Sport used to report 475 calories which is much more in line with the treadmill. 

Also, this exact issue seems to have other journalists noting it as well:

https://gizmodo.com/samsung-had-to-fix-one-thing-with-the-galaxy-watch-acti-1838454731

Come on Samsung... the product is called Watch Active 2. It is supposedly made for fitness/health tracking. That is the one thing you cannot get wrong. And you had it near perfected with the Gear Sport... can this be fixed with a software update?

7 REPLIES 7
user5YgIjypwU5
Astronaut

Re: Watch Active 2 - GPS and Calorie count inaccurate

I have had the same problem with my Watch Active 2. The watch does not measure distances reliably during Walking workouts.  I track I regularly walk is 3.21 km measured using Google Earth. One day my watch will measure the distance correctly (3.21km) and the next day it will measure the same walk as 2.6km. That is a significant discrepancy. For a watch that is advertised as a fitness watch this is totally unacceptable. If there is no fix scheduled soon I will advise people not to buy this device.

VFGold
Constellation

I have a similar problem with my new Active 2. Although I don't have anything to compare it to. However, I decided to go to the track and test the GPS accuracy. I did 10 x 800m and it was all over the place, between 820m up to 970m; always high!

These were the results:

890m, 930m, 910m, 970m, 820m, 920m, 830m, 950m, 970m & 960m.

Could be my settings? A software issue that was fixed or any number of things.

I bought it specifically for running and love it's good looks. That said, I do need the accuracy of the GPS and HR monitor (I'm 65).

Weezykid
Constellation

I am having similar issues as well.  Ride my bike on the same route every trip.  My phone in the beginning was an S9 plus and seemed to have pretty accurate results.  Upgraded to the Note 10 plus with the same accurate results.  Introduced the Avtice 2 to my  aresnel and at first it would produce very similar results to the phone.  However now, I am losing almost 2 miles off of the same ride and route.  This seemed to start a few days ago.  My next ride I am going to try just using my phone to see how that works, but the watch is definitely off by a large margin now and not sure what caused it.

Xylott021
Constellation

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I owned a Gear Sport for over a year before picking up the Active 2.  The gear sport was very consistent in tracking my running distances and times. I don't know how accurate it was to other watches, but compared to my phone's GPS, it was very spot on. After using the active 2, however, my times are over a minute off and the distance tracking from one mile to the next seem very inconsistent. I love the watch, but am considering going back to my Gear Sport for the fitness tracking. This really needs to be fixed. 

usertBZV48tZKA
Astronaut

Indeed I can't believe the almighty Samsung would release such a product to the market. The HR and calories counting are complete rubbish. The watch recorded 300 calories for a 35 minutes walk and next day 310 calories for one hour of a rigorous gym workout session with average HR of 150. I do the the same walk and gym sessions with Polar , Garmin and Hueawi and all within 2% of each other. This one in a different universe. I need to check the return policy in my store , Samsung should not be proud of this. 

wooky2000
Asteroid

I've been recording the inaccuracies since purchase.

Sent GWA2 back yesterday for warranty. Now back to my Gear Sport which is far more accurate. 

userKyqhDk3vs1
Constellation

Same here, I have installed the latest software update hoping it would help fixing this problem once for all, but it still persists. For 1 hour HIIT session the GAW2 counted 370 kcal, for 1 hour Bootcamp (which should be approx. 630-640 kcal), I got 316 and for 1 hour Yoga session 230 kcal. How can a yoga session be only 86 kcal less than 1 hour Bootcamp with an average heart rate of 149 vs. 104 bpm? Plus, 1 hour of tennis 305 kcal... that's definitely wrong. Really disappointed with this smartwatch. Unfortunately I cannot give it back anymore! Did you find out any workaround for this? Thanks!