Original topic:

Watch active 2 ecg

(Topic created on: 3/5/20 3:32 PM)
usermOiU0tAsGk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi

I'm about to return my watch after few days.

I like the watch so much besides I so unsure about if we from Europe (Sweden) will get the software update to get ecg working on the watch... So I need to know if Samsung planning to release the ecg software to the Nordic market or no. Will the release be only for specific country ?

11 Replies
userFAmfx1ZaF2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Based on Samsung's lack of transparency on the whole ECG/Fall Detection issue I wouldn't count on any country getting those updates. Samsung has really let all the loyal Samsung fans down on this watch.

usermOiU0tAsGk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have contacted the swedish department of samsung about the ecg and get this answer:

"Unfortunately, we do not have that information. Is there anything else I can help you with?" 

I'm thinking to switch to apple, or maybe look after another samsung alternative, can you recommend another android watch with ecg function?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

There are some options available, but if you're looking for approved ECG wearables the options are very limited. Apple is the only fully featured watch on the market that does. Others make sacrifices in utility as they are more health or fitness focused rather than including productivity, app and UX options since they are not phone manufacturers as well. Think Garmin, FitBit etc who rely on API rather than source code for interoperability with phones. You can try to import Chinese wearables with ECG, but they are not approved or sold in the US if that's your region. 

KrazyStrong
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I been waiting for this feature too. I hope if and when it's released that it's not like the blood pressure feature because that's horrible

intelnublett
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I just chatted with Samsung and was told "The ECG update MIGHT (I capitalized might not them) by September" they did reassure me though that it would definitely be updated on the Active2 when I asked if I would have to buy yet another watch (i.e. Active3) to get the ECG and fall alert features. I did not get the watch until November after reading that the FDA had approved these because it did not launch with these features. Then it was by 1 Jan, then 1st qtr 2020, then April, now a maybe for September? I had to jump through mega hoops to get Android 10 on my Note9 AFTER Android 11 beta was released! I am glad I didn't preorder an S20 ultra like I was going to, and after more than 10 years of being a Samsung phone/product consumer I am seriously reconsidering my choices!!

userUdTW7o6Xt0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Me too. Considering going full Apple. The Active 2 made me do that.

oeagleo
Nebula
Options
Galaxy Watch

For those who are waiting for the EKG feature around the world, from experience with Apple and their EKG function, honestly, if you're not experiencing AFIB, the whole thing is really nothing more than a "Hey! Y'all come see what my watch can do"...  Beside that, Apple was several months late in introducing the feature to their Series 4 watch, and slowly has been releasing it around the world.  I read that just the other day they enabled it for a country, I can't remember which one, but the forums over there are still seeing "When is this going to be released in my country".  The release is totally dependant upon approval by each country's FDA or equivalent, so it's not totally Samsung's (or Apples) fault.

0 Likes
ECG_WaitSoLong
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

This feels like bait-and-switch.  I would have purchased a different health watch if I didn't want the ECG!   My family has a history of heart disease, this isn't a "Hey! Y'all come see what my watch can do", this could be a matter of life or death.

user63eSSKKlPq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I agree! I am a heart attack survivor and had I known it would take this long for the update I may have gone another way.  I switched from Apple years ago and wanted to stay with Samsung.  The Apple watch and it's capabilities are the only reason I ponder on returning.  The watch is one area I feel Samsung is lacking in competition with Apple.  

0 Likes